Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in picking up a single shot, break open shotgun. This would be my first shotgun, and I would be using it primarily for target shooting and plinking w/ family. I also think it would be a great way to introduce me to shotguns, and a great ammo saver.

Any popular models out there? A quick google search turned up a H&R model, any others?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The H&R\NEF's are great guns for the $$$. Remington is importing a line known as "Spartan" that is made in Turkey. These are good guns as well, but cost more. You may want to look into the Rossi's as they offer several switch-barrell shotgun\rifle models, ie: you can have a .22lr\20 ga., .243\20 ga., etc. If you have an academy sporting goods near you, they will prob. have them. Here's a link:
Academy Sports + Outdoors - Sporting Goods Store

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I can guarantee that in a very short time, you'll be wanting to upgrade, so consider a pump. And the ammo thing is a myth, you can burn LOTS of ammo through a single shot, just takes longer. I'd recommend visiting a trap/skeet range, where there's lots of shotgunners, and asking for some advice. Also consider that while the plastic stocks are lighter and look "tacticool", wood absorbs more recoil.

Avoid pistol grip "combat shotguns" with no buttstock. Those aren't even fun to shoot, and forget about hitting anything.

But toolman has a very good point about the interchangeable barrel thing.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Single shot shotguns also have a tendency to kick like a mule, especially a 12 guage.Start with a decent pump, you'll probaly keep it. If you start with a single shot, you'll probaly get rid of it.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Rossi

Rossi has a great line of shotguns in the style you want. I think it is a very good idea to start simple the see if you want to move forward rather than put out a lot of money up front for something you might not enjoy.

I really do like my Rossi 20 gauge slug gun.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Just out of mere curiosity, why are you looking at single shots shotguns? Is there a specific reason or something or just because you like them? For what it's worth, I agree with LeftyO and .22guy and what they've expressed.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I would suggest you try and find a clay shooting club/or group who will be only too glad to introduce you proper & safe shotgun shooting and will probably let you try various guns, so you can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a single-shot break action 20ga and .410ga, and love them. The .410 was actually my first firearm.

I would recommend:

H & R Firearms: Firearms: Shotguns (I have the Junior Classic in .410. I still use it today because of its ease to carry through the woods. It weighs pretty much nothing, especially compared to my pump action shotguns)

or

Remington SPR100™ Single Shot Specifications
(I own an SPR310 (over-under), and it's probably my favorite shotgun. These are Baikal Firearms, which means their made in the Russia's historic Izhevsky Manufacturing Plant. During World War II it produced countless Tokarev 1933 pistols, Nagant 1895 revolvers, Degtyaryov and Simonov anti-tank rifles and other military armament, including rocket launchers.) Baikal Firearms

Anyway, either of these would be great choices. For your first shotgun, I would probably stick to a 20ga. There is little that you can't do with a 20ga that you would be able to do with a 12ga.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I agree with Andrew for only a few dollars more you can buy one of these ! Instead of a single shot.
Pardner® Pump Walnut

ModelPardner® Pump WalnutAmmo12 Gauge (NP1-228)Order Online

20 Gauge (NP1-206)StockAmerican Walnut with grooved fore-end and ventilated recoil pad.Barrel28" (12 Ga); 26" (20 Ga)ChamberUp to 3"Magazine Capacity5 (3-shot plug furnished)SightsBead front; drilled and tapped for scope baseChokeScrew-in ModifiedLength48-1/8" (12 Ga.) 46-1/8" (20 Ga.)Length of Pull14-1/4"Drop at Comb1-1/2"Drop at Heel2-1/2"Weight7-1/2 lbs.Owner's ManualDownload Owner's Manual
(Specifications subject to change without notice)

Pardner® Pump-Synthetic

ModelPardner® Pump-SyntheticAmmo12 Gauge (NP1-2S8)
20 Gauge (NP1-2S6)StockBlack synthetic with grooved fore-end and ventilated recoil pad.Barrel28" (12 Ga); 26" (20 Ga)ChamberUp to 3"Magazine Capacity5 (3-shot plug furnished)SightsBead front; drilled and tapped for scope baseChokeScrew-in ModifiedLength48-1/8" (12 Ga.) 46-1/8" (20 Ga.)Length of Pull14-1/4"Drop at Comb1-1/2"Drop at Heel2-1/2"Weight7-1/2 lbs.Owner's ManualDownload Owner's Manual
(Specifications subject to change without notice)

Pardner® Pump Compact

ModelPardner Pump CompactAmmo20 GaugeStockAmerican walnut (Shown, NP1-201)
Black Synthetic (NP1-2S1)
Full Dip Camo (NP1-2C1)Barrel21"ChamberUp to 3"Magazine Capacity5 (3-shot plug furnished)SightsBead front; drilled and tapped for scope baseChokeScrew-in ModifiedLength40"Length of Pull13"Drop at Comb1-1/2"Drop at Heel2-1/4"Weight6-1/2 lbs.Owner's ManualDownload Owner's Manual

I paid I think a grand total of $ 180.00 for the wood 20ga. and I give you my word it is well made and NICE !!!...A.H

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
First shotgun I ever had was an Ithaca 66 single shot in 20 ga, bought with my own money I went out and earned myself cutting lawns and washing cars. Not that brought back a few happy memories!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you think you might want to eventually hunt with it, i would gravitate towards a pump gun.
I would never hunt with it, not one of my interests.

Just out of mere curiosity, why are you looking at single shots shotguns? Is there a specific reason or something or just because you like them? For what it's worth, I agree with LeftyO and .22guy and what they've expressed.
Why? The price (less than $150) of a single shot is lower than a similar quality pump it seems. Also, I suppose, I DO just like the look of them, the simplicity. I don't need much more than one shot for shooting watermelons and targets out with friends and family.

I'll take a look around at some of the pump-actions people have posted. I am favoring an H&R model so far.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Your reasons for wanting a single shot are very valid. Cheap pump actions will more than likely be of much poorer quality than a single shot for just a bit less. H&R makes very good quality Single-Shot Shotguns.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Nothing wrong with the singles, they have few parts to break and are simple to check for loaded or not. I started my boys with singles in the 70's and the guns are still in ex. shape. I suggest you start with a 20ga as it kicks less than the 12 but patterns better than the 4.10 and is easy to find shells for, unlike the 28 or 16.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
All good advice.My only experience with a single shot was many years ago. I took a buddies young son, about 15, out duck hunting and he had a single shot 12 guage. He couldn't hit a tree with this gun. I let him use my 1200, and within several shots he had his first duck. I tried his single and with shooting 2 3/4" #4 magnums, this gun was a HANDFUL! The poor kid was scared of the recoil it delivered, and with good reason. He wasn't a big kid, and this gun his dad bought for his son's first gun was a doozy!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I probably wouldn't get a 12ga in single-shot because of recoil issues, but once you add a bit of weight, like with an over/under or pump action even, the recoil is very manageable.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey Bravo the H&R-NEF Pardner Pump is a very nice shotgun, fit and finish is excellent.
As dumb as this may sound I bought mine out of curiosity after looking it over and what not it is a nice shotgun.
Andrew Cockran another member here bought one and he says the same about his.
I wanted the compact but due to barrel leght I ordered the adult size.
And where you'll know the 20ga's are scaled down to what 20ga. size should be.
These shotguns are Remington 870 clones with all parts interchangeable except on the 20ga maybe.
Andrew bought his for $120.00 I think he said...A.H

1 - 20 of 36 Posts