close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SKS advice before I buy

Discussion in 'SKS' started by kswat07, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kswat07

kswat07 G&G Enthusiast

I recently shot my buddy's SKS. I thought it was a really fun rifle to shoot and I want to buy one. I know absolutely nothing about them. Any of you SKS owners have any advice on purchasing a good one?

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I am not an authority on SKS rifles but they are fun to shoot. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them but if I were going to buy one I would go with either Russian ($$$$) or one of the eastern block countries. Norinco and Chinese rifles are good rifles and make fun plinkers but there are some inconsistencies. Pinned barrels are better than pressed on barrels. I like wood stocks better than the plastic ones. (personal preference)

Oh, I would stay away from ones that someone has "accessorized". Like put on an aftermarket high capacity magazine. Those tend to have massive feeding problems. Buy un butchered and if you want to change things do it yourself so you will know it was done correctly.

Make sure numbers match. Buy some ammo and have a blast!

jwrauch likes this.

3. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    If possible, make sure whoever you buy it from does not have a tail light warranty. I have seen very few fail in the gas system, out of tolerance or whatever. Keep in mind unless in rare circumstances, you will be buying a gun that has been shot to some extent.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Yugos are still the best 'bang for the buck' in SKS carbines. Nothing at all wrong with the Chinese Norincos, just that later on they cut corners to speed up and cheapen production for the American market, and these have no 'collectibility'. Earlier military issued Chinese SKS (non-Norinco) are very collectible. They are designed after the Russian gun and if very early they will have Russian parts.
    The Russian SKS is pricier due to being overhyped in the US market. They are really no better quality-wise than the earlier Chinese guns. I know I will get flack with that statement, but sometimes the truth hurts. ;-)
    If you just want a good shooter, look for a Yugo (preferably the M59 without the grenade launcher and on/off gas valve) or the Norinco SKS, and look for the usual indicators of condition - overall condition, finish, good bore, no broken/missing parts. If possible try to shoot it before buying so you know how it performs.
    As stated before, avoid those that have been modified. Issue condition is the most reliable.

5. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

Basically I'd say 1. Russian 2. Yugo 3. Chinese type 56, then 4. Chinese Norinco... The norincos were never issued to military, they're a civilian rifle just like an American made Remington 700 or Marlin 30-30. I have a Norinco and it has been a great rifle, really fun plinker. SKSs just keep going up in price

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

my .02. SKS s are fun and good rifles. I currently own 3. they used to be a great value but now the way the prices have skyrocketed, I don't think they are worth the high prices. with a few exceptions of later mfg. Yugos, you will be paying top dollar for a rifle that has had MANY rounds of corrosive ammo shot thru it, most of it in battlefield conditions and maintained by 3rd world partisans. for a little more $ I could find a better deal. just my .02. if you really have to have one, none of the above will matter.

7. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I've got the Yugo M59/66 A1 and I love it. It's been a great coyote gun, it's reasonably accurate, and until recently it was cheap to shoot.

I also found out from a buddy with an identical one that you can superglue a small chunk of dowel rod to a golf ball and launch them with blanks out of the grenade launcher. I'm scared to try it but it sounds like fun.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  8. I already have a Romanian AK-47, but I would like to have a Yugoslavian SKS, with or without the grenade attachment. I would keep it original and avoid the plastic and polymer. An extra case of 7.62x39, original sling and oiler, about twenty 10-round chargers and a cotton canvas chest pouch, and I'll be set.

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Still looking for a model D or M that was made to take AK mags.

I've had 3 Norinco's and a Yugo....like the lightness of the Norinco's.

10. scottieb7

scottieb7 G&G Newbie

..I love my Norinco ..

11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yeah, Russian for $$$. Yugo for value. Norinco as intermediary.

12. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Any one of them will serve you very well. I have a Norinco. My brother-in-law has a Russian. My Dad has a Type 56. Functionally, not one is any better than any other. The Russian rifle is the tightest and has less machining marks. If you want historical value, a Russian rifle is worth the money. If you just want something to shoot the crap out of, find any make SKS locally in good condition for a good price. Shootability doesn't change between makes. Keep in mind than the Yugo makes are the only ones WITHOUT chrome lining. If you run across one of those, check the bore, gas port, and piston carefully.

13. gandog56

I believe some of the very early Russian SKS's also did not have chromed barrels as Russia only started to chrome them after like 1950. Chrome lining is not a necessity, it may extend barrel life a little longer and make cleaning a bit easier but to the average shooter it's not a big deal. Most likely you will wear out before you wear an SKS barrel out with normal use and proper cleaning. Would you pass up a Russian 1949-1950 SKS because it didn't have a chromed barrel? I wouldn't.

14. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Unless it was $300 or less, probably. When you're dealing with a conscript soldier who didn't properly clean his rifle after firing corrosive ammo, the chrome lining can make a world of difference. I never said not to buy a non-chromed rifle, but rather to check it more thoroughly before buying.

15. PaleHawkDown

Anyone ever seen an East German one in person? all this talk about the $$$ of a Russian one got me to thinking.

16. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Once in a blue moon you can run across an Albanian...only saw one last year at the Gunshows.

[​IMG]

17. PaleHawkDown

I saw one of those before I (or the guy at the gun shop for that matter) had ever heard of such a thing. I didn't buy it because he told me, "I've never heard of one, so its probably crap." This was maybe a year after I got my Yugo...so late '90s?
    I was still a teenager so I couldn't have gotten it anyway.

18. gandog56

Which should be done if you can with ANY used gun!

That being said my Yugo SKS was like in an unissued condition. I swear I paid 10 bucks for hand select, but think they screwed up and sent me an unissued SKS by mistake. I didn't tell them......Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!.

19. my 1950 Tula isnt chromelined...I cant see as how it bothers anything.

I have shot norincos and russians..both work AS LONG AS YOU LEAVE THE MAGAZINE STOCK.

20. kswat07

kswat07 G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies everyone. I learned more than what I knew before. I'm just going to look for one that I can get a deal on. Also gotta justify buying one to myself other than just to have one Lol but any reason to add to my collection. Come to think of it, I don't own any foreign firearms yet