close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SKS advice before I buy

Discussion in 'SKS' started by kswat07, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I had a Chinese type 56 early import and it was a great rifle. Wish I hadn't sold it. JR

2. Have to mention Romanians, like the one I have. Nobody else know about these?

Chrome lined barrel, very close to the Russian ones in quality.

3. I own a norinco sks. It's shoots great. My brother jut got a romanian one it came with 2 plastic stock and a 20rnd tapco mag and 200 rnds he got it for $160. I don't think it had ever been cleaned. I took it apart and cleaned it up it ran great even with the plastic stock and crapco mag.

4. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I often forget about the Romanian SKS. You don't see them much. I would love to have one.

5. I ''need''

Chinese Type 56

Yugo w/ grenade launcher

Norinco type M or D

jwrauch likes this.
  6. rakhan

rakhan G&G Regular

Just out of curiosity what is a better value in semi auto sporting rifles? granted its not the same value as when you could buy them for $60. But I cannot think of any other semi auto sporting rifle for $350 to $400. AK's and AR's start at $600-$700 if you are lucky, the Ruger Mini Series and the Kel Tec SU-16 is about the same. If there is a better value out there I would love to know because I am in the market for a Budget rifle.

7. So we all have our opinions but it equals out somewhere near this:

GET AN SKS! Or two or three....they are great short rifles. Reliable, not finicky semi-auto rifle. Does what it is designed to do with no "yah...but..."

Uses perhaps the most widely available cartridge on the planet.

Get some!

fteter and jwrauch like this.
  8. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

kswat07: If you just happen to get lucky one day, you might spot a nice original Yugo M59 SKS.
    Both of mine in exc, condition cost $375 each a month ago.

These have No grenade launchers and seem to be much less common (in the US) than the Russian types.
    I barely noticed an M59 at the gun show which seems to be unused.

Have you already read a bit on SKSboards and YooperJohn's SKS website?

Many of those guys at SKSboards have heard about every kind of SKS question, and often know the answer.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It seems MOST of my collection is foreign.

But I do have 3 American made Mosin Nagants, and a Win 94 factory chambered for that same round.

Even my .223 is a Russian made Saiga.

10. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

you are comparing prices of new AK, ARs & Mini 14s with the price of a well used military surplus rifle. for the same price as an SKS now days you can buy a used semi auto sporting rifle. the used Remington 742 & 7400 series can be had with a variety of good calibers. you could probably find a used mini or AK for that price too.

11. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

kswat07:
    If you somehow decide to consider a gun in the general
    AK (-47) type of category, have you read much about the Czech VZ-58? Prices seem to be approx. $650 or so.

Despite using the same 7.62x39 round, the VZ
    is Not an AK, having totally different components, which are milled vs. stamped. They can only use VZ magazines.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

As much as I respect and like you friend, I have to disagree with you here.

I have had the privilege of shooting just about every type of SKS out there and have found the following to be true.

As long as isn't worn out, most SKS' are about the same. They are all good rifles. You're not going to get hurt.

Accuracy:

Hands down, Norincos are the most accurate. Without a doubt. That's why I prefer them. Mine has milled everything, and a screw in barrel. I've shot the pressed in barrel variety also. They're excellent shooters, and very sturdy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pinned barrel SKS for $300.

Russians are the prettiest ones, they're good shooters, and sturdy. They are also more expensive than the others.

Romy's (I have one of these also) are like the Russian ones, although a typical Romy will have a lot more wear on it. They also can have trigger issues (negative sear engagement), but that's fixable. I shot what I believe to be an East German SKS once. Same as the Russian.

Yugos require maintenance. They are sturdy, heavy, and accurate. Buy an extra gas port valve, you'll eventually need it. Keep the bore/chamber clean, they don't have chrome lined anything.

Albanian:
    I want one :). In MY opinion, not as well finished as the Russian ones, but pretty good shooters. I like the bolt handle.

Bubbas:

If it's just a stock change, no problem. Just make sure it's well fit. Don't pay full price for it.

In any case, You MUST make sure the bolt, and firing pin are pristine clean. Disassemble the bolt, and clean the crap out of it to avoid slamfires.

I don't like the Murray firing pin. I've seen it fail to fire some Wolf and Brown bear ammo. It has issues crushing the primers. Keep your bolt clean, and you won't need a Murray firing pin.

Make sure the mag well hasn't been altered. Avoid aftermarket magazines. It works best with the original.

Any SKS is a decent rifle. Good for bug out, home defense, hunting, etc. I have a .30-30 I retired after acquiring an SKS.

As long as you're comfortable with what you're willing to pay for one, you're not going to get hurt purchasing one.

A good, unissued, or nearly so, Norinco SKS, costs HALF what an AK, or Mini costs. I don't know where others are getting that the SKS costs nearly the same. Most I've seen lately, are going for between $300-375. Maybe it's just a local thing, idk.

Just my observations.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  13. fteter

fteter G&G Addict

Until recently, I owned 2 SKS rifles: Russian and Chinese (not a Norinco, but a JIA - similar history). Both came all original and in really good shape. Only two differences that I found between the two: 1) the Chinese is just a bit lighter...not much, but just a little; 2) The fit of the Chinese, surprisingly, was much tighter all around - need a hammer to work the pin that locks in the trigger group. That's it, period.

If you want a piece of history and some collection value, go Russian. If you're looking for a shooter, don't worry too much about the national origin and focus on the condition of the rifle.

BTW, I recently sold the Russian. Didn't see any sense in keeping two and the buyer was willing to pay a premium for the Russian over the Chinese...because of what he read about the two on the internet ;)

Dragunov likes this.
  14. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter G&G Addict

Russian. Yes you'll pay a little more for one but you'll be glad you did. And after you have had it for a while you'll most likely could get more for than what you paid for it. I think I could get more than double, maybe triple what I paid for my '54 Tula.

'drif

15. Or buy an AK...then realize you havent shot your SKS since you got AK, and trade the SKS off. That's what I did.

If there were still 100$ norincos to be had, I would own one just for a dedicated truck-gun. If I ever find a reasonably priced Norinco, I will buy it. Would like to get the paratrooper version. Would be cheaper then leaving a good bolt rifle, or AK or AR in the truck....plus an SKS isnt as ''scary'' to any troopers who might pull me over.