Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently i went to an auction and saw a yugo sks... i got in a bidding war and the only other guy who bid on it went far past me and won the bid at $275 which got me looking into cheaper guns... shortly after a friend of mine offered to sell me a russian sks for $250 with a bayonet and 10 round fixed clip. this of course led to some research resulting in me finding a few norincos and other lower quality guns for more money, but i DID manage to find a AK-47 (sorry, not sure of make, made a point to remember and promptly forgot) for $265 so im stuck between the sks, or the ak.

in my searches the people ive found with either one tend to own both, and would hate to choose so as of yet, im still stuck on which to buy. im NOT trying to collect it, but im more into shooting the stuff as much as i get a chance to. i heard i can get a yugo for about $160, so im half tempted to get that, but i know the russian would hold its value more even after all the shooting i do (i do clean my guns so corrosive and whatnot wont be OVERLY damaging) which would y'all recommend, or is there something cheaper/better. i already own a ruger 10/22 so id kinda prefer something with a little more kick, and i have 2 mausers so id prefer something in between. its NOT going to be used as a hunting rifle for what i plan so far, just something to target shoot. only problem is, i turn 18 in june and will be going to college in august, then military in 2 years *rotc, then full mil* so im sure i wont get TOO many chances to use the gun. they tend to frown on locking the guns up in my dorm ;) appreciate the help, inuyasha

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'd look into Shaun's suggestion about the C&R - but I think that might not be feasible since you live in a dorm (I'm not sure what your school policy is but they may be suspiscious about long boxes being shipped to you). But perhaps you can ask your family if it's okay to put your home address down. Also, I'm not sure what's the minimum age for a C&R - if any of your parents are gun friendly, that's definitely worth talking to them about and maybe one of them can apply for the license. Also, I think $250 is not bad for a Russian SKS if it's in good condition, but I'd go with the AK too if I had the choice.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Pay close attention to WHICH AK it is. If it takes standard military AK mags and is in good working condition, then GET THE AK, no question. The price is good on the Russian SKS due it its collectibility, but for just shooting a Yugo for $150ish should be good.

Consider also that thinking too hard and shopping around can cost money, and that can end up affecting the economics of your decision. Saving $20 on a gun, for example, is not worth a 50 mile drive.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
Saving $20 on a gun, for example, is not worth a 50 mile drive.
Haha - so true. Especially with the gas prices the way they are. My last gun was offered about $50 cheaper by a store 100 miles away. I drive a gas guzzler and I'm not a fan of LA traffic so I decided against it.

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:
Check the AK, if it's a WASR 10, forget about it, stick with the Sar1 or higher quality AKs, the WASR 10 don't have the dimples in the receiver and may cause some problems with the mags, wobble a bit and cause feed problems.

Stick with the stamped recivers that are dimpled, or better yet, get a milled receiver, but that can be expensive.

Just my $0.02

:full: :full: :full: :full: :full:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I guess I just have to be different.
The Russian SKS is a good deal but not knowing what kind the AK is makes me think the SKS might be better but of course I dont know that.
I love my AK but the SKS will outshoot it. The butt on the AK is just too darn short to take any kind of aimed fire. But hey, its an AK so who cares! Just pull the trigger again. You're bound to be close to the target. I vote SKS.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the sks turned out to be a CJA for $250, the ak is a ROARM for $285. it was 265 a week ago but i think he went up.. im all for keeping the small business going but prices arent feasible for my income. as for a license (assuming thats a c&r?) im 17, 18 in june, so i doubt i meet the age requirements, and i wont be having a gun shop or many guns that need a license to own. dad kinda drilled it into me that the ATF and whatnot enjoys harrassing people with that type of stuff about as much as they like coming after people with inert grenades and whatnot. heard many stories from him how someone got shot because they came to the door with a gun in a high crime area. that + coming for a grenade threat = they shoot him, etc. also, i heard the gov't can come in any time to check if the gun is there, take it for no reason, etc. post is shortened because comp keeps refreshing to the previous page without saving what im typing IN THE MIDDLE of my typing >.<

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The ATF usually does not come after C&R licensees. They are required to give you an option to bring your stuff to the local ATF office if they do audit you. A C&R is not a dealer, you're not expected to have premises for a business, since you're not supposed to deal in firearms. I think overall you're in greater danger from the IRS than the ATF (just ask DogLips ;) The ATF will come after you if you do retarded stuff like bubba'ing rifles into pistols, getting supressors & class III stuff without a license, etc.

·
Registered
389 Posts
or selling guns on ebay. I was at the atf office last week and they mentioned something about having a field day busting people on ebay.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
If you can't afford an AK, then you're not ready to afford a modern military rifle. Milsurps like SKS, Mosin and Mauser are probably the best ideas for your budget.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,359 Posts
Depends on the kind of shooting you want to do. I'm more a 'sit at the bench' kind of shooter, so the SKS suits me better. The short fixed mag is bench-friendly.
For someone who wants to shoot from the hip, doing the 'fast fire' thing, the AK is tops!
I do have a Romanian AK, but hardly ever shoot it.
I like the history of my war-time Yugo SKS too - it's certainly not the pristine 'unissued' model! I still wonder if that Serbian trooper ever saw his girl 'Mila' again.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Most mil-surp AK's are 4-plus moa shooters versus 1-2 moa for the SKS. The more expensive AK's will approach the SKS in accuracy, but for my $$$, you can't beat the SKS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts