close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SKS Bolt stuck in the forward possition

Discussion in 'SKS' started by santiagog24, Jan 21, 2012.

1. santiagog24

santiagog24 G&G Newbie

I recently purchased a chinese SKS. Cleaned it really good oiled it but when I pull back on the bolt and release it the bolt is stuck in the forward position. When I do this the gun is unloaded and the magazine is out or released. Thanks for any information

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. fisherboy111

fisherboy111 G&G Newbie

forward as in its closed?

3. santiagog24

santiagog24 G&G Newbie

Yes closed all the way. It takes a lot of force to pull it back. I'v heard of this happening when fireing it. All the other bolts on my rifles will pull back without a problem. unloaded or when firing it. thanks

4. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Spring problem maybe? Thats all i can think of. Did you put the spring back in backwards?

5. santiagog24

santiagog24 G&G Newbie

No its in the right way.

6. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Well i do know that both of mine have very stiff actions. Other then the spring im at a loss, hopefully one of the fellas here can help ya.

7. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Is it hard to pull back if the hammer is cocked? It does take more effort to cock the hammer once it has fallen. Take the cover and spring off, see if the bolt will open and move easily anong the rails. Then try reassembling again.

8. santiagog24

santiagog24 G&G Newbie

Sorry not exactly sure what you mean when the hammer is cocked. Dos it mean if I dry fire it. Anyways I took it apart and the bolt moves freely. Put it back and again I pull the bolt back and let go and its really hard to pull back. Is this normal or is it doing it because its unloaded and the mag is out?

9. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

When you dry fire it, the hammer falls. Opening the bolt will cock the hammer. This requires more effort than if you pulled the bolt back a second time, and did not pull the trigger. That is because it's cocked already. You are working against the spring there, so it isn't going to be like a bolt action rifle. Do you have friends that are familiar with the SKS? Show them....

10. Dylandance

Dylandance G&G Regular

have you shot it yet? If it cycles i wouldnt worry about it. Dont try to fix it until you know its broken

11. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Evangelist

did you clean the gas port? i shot my ak with the corrosive yugo surp ammo and i didnt clean it. the piston got stuck and i had to hit my charging handle off the corner of the table to get it to budge.

12. hemingway89

try checking it with the cover off. the bolt carrier may not be in properly also.

13. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

How does the piston sticking have anything to do with pulling the bolt back?

14. On a Sks nothing but on an ak its connected

15. hemingway89

my bad i thought the sks had similar setup

16. Can you cycle the bolt easily whenever you drop the floorplate? Just hit the release on the fixed mag and let it swing out and hang there. Try cycling the bolt with the mag/floorplate swinging.

17. santiagog24

santiagog24 G&G Newbie

M14man. It does it when I cock the hamer or release the bolt.
    Dylandance. I have not shot it yet thinking it may create a problem when doing so.
    Hemimgway89. I did clean the gas port and open it up plenty of times to check its function and the bolt carrier moves freely. I just cant figure out whats holding it back.
    cremley. The bolt cycles and moves freely with the floorplate droped but if I control it or move it back and forward, but if I pull all the way back and let go its stuck. Does yours do that?
    Thanks for all the help

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  18. Dylandance

Dylandance G&G Regular

Its pretty incredible to see how difficult it is to diagnose a problem on the sks, where as you could figure out whats wrong with an ak in a matter of minutes

19. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Thats because with the simplicity of an SKS there shouldn't be this problem.

20. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Santiago, are you saying the bolt locks back? Because that would be due to the follower in the magazine pushing up on a little stopper that holds the bolt open when its empty so you can reload. Also, its a war rifle, the bolt isn't supposed to be cake to pull back, its built for toughness. Try taking it to the range and firing it.