Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 30 round mag for my SKS but sometime it wont chamber the round like it hitting low then when it does chamber the round it wont eject it. I bought the polymer type and on the mag it sayes SKS-a1 on it does it matter that mine is a 56/66. So if anyone can shed light on what Im doing wrong.

Thanks
DevilDogZ28

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
I had extremely bad luck with the polymer mags. I'm a believer in staying with the original 10-round fixed magazine.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
yeah it is rare that they work. that is why you hear (leave it alone!) so often...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I guess I will leave it alone and keep stock with the 10 round box mag. what do you think about put on a muzzle brake. There is one out there that look like the grenade launcher.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
some of em are pretty cool, go for it if ya wanna...shouldnt hurt anything

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
I personally don't see a need for a muzzle brake on a gun firing the intermediate cartridges - but I do like the looks of them on a military rifle. Slick barrels just don't look 'right'. Make sure it's installed straight - if crooked, it can affect accuracy - the bullet can sometimes contact it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
umm yeah the only thing a muzzle break will hurt is you wont be able to clip the bayonet over there barrel

yeah i like stripper clips and my 10 round box clip... just faster that way.... and i dont blow ammo as fast :D and can someone tell me what sks ammo is running... last ime i bought any was like 6 years ago when there was talk of out lawwing it i went and bought 10-1000 cases for $80 a peice... now i went too look for more... and its was $160-180 anybody know?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Maybe I'm just used to the heavier Yugo, but in my opinion the increase in noise from a brake would be worse than the recoil on something as mild as an SKS.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have went through a lot of those aftermarket polymer and metal mags and haven't got a single one to work right. I was he11 bent on making it high cap so I got a fixed Chinese 20 round mag. Works flawlessly and looks pretty cool too.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
With my wet blanket role continuing, I have seen and heard that the fixed 20 rounders aren't the most reliable either. Figure if you can only load ten at a time with strippers, your only advantage would be with the first mag full.

I'd stick with the 10rd and get proficient with it.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
It seems that the 10 round mag is the ONLY truely reliable one,others,well,if you are punching paper a few misfeeds are tolerable,if the chips are down,stick with the original with stripper clips!:bigeyes: :feedback:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have had really good luck with the Chinese 20 rounder, but I am not sure that I would stake my life on it, but I wouldn't stake my life on an SKS non the less, so it does what I need it to do.

To answer where and how much.
I got mine at a gun show and it was $50 that I talked down from $80 because it was rough.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Hey, can't beat that! My thoughts are that the biggest reason for a detachable mag on an SKS is to be able to use a full length scope, if desired.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Ten round stocker is the only way to go on an SKS, Tapco is going to release a 20rnd. mag in the near future to go with their T-6 stocks. This way one can keep their rifle 922R compliant with a reliable mag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reason that they don't work is because they were not made to use such clips. They were made to use the good ole' ten rounder that they come with.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Actually it's mostly due to the fact that no one has bothered to make a qaulity aftermarket mag. Pick up any current aftermarket sks mag and compare it to an AK mag for example. You'll notice that the SKS mag is flimsy, probably crooked, and poorly welded. The AK mag although rough in appearence, is a very sturdy and well made piece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts