Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Norico SKS just quit firing the other day, the bolt will no longer clip into the butt end of the shells. Cleaned it over and over and re-tired and re-tired but cant seem to get it to fire. Its a hit and miss with the ejection sometimes it works awesome when you open the action but sometimes the round will just sit in the chamber when you tip the gun up it falls out. Im thinking the bolt assmebly is toast or something anybody have any ideas? Its a cheap gun so if its a serious job ill just replace it the gun has seem some serious abuse.

·
Registered
630 Posts
the gun seeing some kind of abuse in the past could be a problem. Maybe just an old worn-out sks, but only pictures can describe the problem you have to us here at GNG. Oh and welcome to our great society of gun enthusiasts.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Are you sure you mean ejection and not extraction? Extraction could be fixed with a new extractor and/or spring and/or cleaning the current ectractor and spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya sorry I meant the extractor was not functioning properly. Ive cleaned it over and over with no change in its function. I took it to my local gun shop and he said he would take a look at it but it might just be easier to get a brand new one from him they are only $150 CDN so its not a huge loss, plus Ill have a second one for parts or to use as a bat whatever I decide I guess.

·
Registered
234 Posts
sounds like a bent or broken extractor to me, toooo... or maybe the little tiny tab, that the back end of the bullet hits that forces the case out as the bolt slides past, is malfunctioning. Doesn't sound like anything unrepairable. Everything can be fixed.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Is the $150 SKS from CDN a Norinco or something else?
If you are chambering the cartriges but not extracting them it has to be the extractor,spring,or ejector,not much else to go wrong and not hard to replace.
Also make sure that the bolt is going forward compleatly so that the extractor is hooking it,clean the face of the bolt and check for crud keeping it from closing compleatly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed a couple times the bolt did not go all the way forward but that was only when manually chambered the first round. Yes the gun is a Norinco Chinese SKS. Still waiting for work back from the Gun Smith to see whats the deal with my SKS.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
For $150 I would get that Norinco,not gonna be any more apparently.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Do you mean that China is discontinuing them? Note that this fellow is in Canada where they can legally buy new Norinco products.

The extractor seems the clearest reason for problems extracting. Replacing it is a good idea. That way you can buy another SKS and have two SKSs.

For the bolt going forward, it needs to have some momentum behind it when locking. So you need to either let go of it from the very rear (recommended) or push it all the way forward - don't just ease it forward and not push it all the way. Don't be afraid to work that action fast and firmly, because that's exactly what the rifle does to itself when it cycles every time you fire.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
"Do you mean that China is discontiueing them?"
"Note that this fellow is in Canada where the can legally buy new Norinco products."
Looks like you answered your own question.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Well it seemed you were telling a guy in Canada that there wouldn't be any more, so I wasn't sure if you knew something I didn't or didn't know something I did.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
I didn't know that he was in Canada,my statement was to the general public.
Surprises me that Canada lets it's citizens,(subjects?),purchase SKS's.:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Almost sounds like ya got a yugo 59/66 with a faulty Gas valve.

Had same prob with mine but all it was, was the switch that selects from grenade launcher to semi auto was off a tad. Ended up buying new Gas Valve. Oh well i got an extra :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts