Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Yugo SKS and am cleaning it up. Trying to disassemble the bolt, and getting stuck here. The retaining pin will not budge whatsoever, whether light or moderate "tapping" applied. The extractor, when pushed in as much as possible is still held in the bolt, it does not come out either. Any suggestions/advice? I've searched several articles about disassembly, and they all show this as a simple, minimally explained process. I can see cosmo seeping out from inside the bolt, so I want to make sure this is cleaned thouroughly.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
i boiled mine! then hit it with wd40(water displacer 40 )then light aerosol oil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, all. I did now finally get it- I sprayed with break free & let it sit for a while, then spoke more firmly with the hammer. It cooperated, finally, and the retaining pin came out. Regards

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Often the pin retainer requires some serious thumping if it been in there a while.

Just a note, It's very important to dissasemble your bolt to clean out any cosmoline. After you have cleaned it well, re-assemble and do not oil it! The sks bolt should stay "dry", a light coat of grease on the bottom of the bolt where it contacts the hammer is okay (but not really needed), but the firing pin and it channel should be clean of any grease or oil.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would let it soak in carosine for 10 or 15 minutes and then give it a shot. If it does have cosmoline on it, be sure to clean 100% of it completely out. It may be a dirty job, but is has to be done for a functioning rifle. When I had my first SKS and I was a newbie so very long ago, I thought I had all of it and went shooting and there was more smoke than inside a hippie's van:240:
This page is a good starter reference:Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - Disassembly and Reassembly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts