Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel kind of stupid asking this because I tried to seach through myself but got frustrated with all the legal mumbo jumbo. I'll have to rely on the saying that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Anyways, I was wondering if SEMI-AUTO SKS and AK-47 are legal in California for the average citizen who can legally bear arms. I have seen people at the range with fully auto guns before and I have also seen AK-47's (semi-auto only). Without having to move, is it possible and how easy (or hard) is it to LEGALLY aquire one of these fine weapons of mass masculinity?

Thanks...

$imple

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
An SKS is perfectly legal if it does not have a detachable magazine and you do not modify it in any way that would make it CA illegal (i.e. pistol grip, etc). Thumbhole stock SKS sporters are not CA legal. Russian, Albanian, Romanian or Yugo (without the grenade launcher, i.e. not the 59/66 in it's original configuration) are legal in their original configuration - in fact, the Russian SKS is C&R eligible and if you have a C&R license, you can get it shipped to your door. Yugo SKS are currently available at Turners Outdoorsman for $179. This has been answered before but I can't find the link.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
You should be able to buy SKSs. AKs are banned by name and cannot be sold to individuals anymore, far as I know, so if you don't have one already you're out of luck. Of course Gunssb would know far more than I on how that all works.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
AKs are not my cup of tea - too many legal issues to circumvent, although like BRG, I've heard of more than one case where someone substituted the receiver with something else - the receiver is the gun. Like I said, all SKS in their original config with the exception of the Yugo with the grenade launcher are legal.

Yeah, Century Arms has a pump action AK if you care :insane: :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been there 2 or 3 times but the other one on W. Camino Cielo is free and I don't have membership with WC gun club so mostly I just go to the free range if you can call it that, more like a dump & shoot range.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hmm, the W Camino Cielo is the Winchester Canyon gun club right ? Where is this free range ? I'm a member at the WC. Maybe we should take this offline/PM :)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
No problem. Good to know that someone local made it to this site! Maybe we can shoot together sometime - my range buddy moved to Sandy eggo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sandy eggo? lol....that's a good one....

Yeah maybe sometime, haven't been up to the range in over a year.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
$imple said:
I used to go once or twice a month, I haven't gone back for a while...
Join the WCGC if you can - we need more members and more presence to prevent the range from being shutdown. The grabbers are all over the range anyway since it disturbs the sanctity of some Indian spiritual site and birds or something like that.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Umm, automaticand pump action are contradictory. I believe pump action AKs are legal in CA. Semi automatics are essentially prohibited, and full autos are also with a few high expense and high paperwork by federal law, not sure if CA even allows them still.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts