Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what's up! I gotta question... I've got a few guns and they all have there purposes. My dad doesn't feel comfortable with my SKS as a "Survival" rifle. He doesn't think that an SKS with 10 rds into it is enough for him to put away something like The "Lower 48" Bear or Mtn. Lion if they jumped him. I didn't really argue with him based on lack of facts. I feel comfortable with it but is he right? Is that 7.62 really not enough to stop "charging" bears or mtn. lion? I mean CHARGING! Any insight?:feedback:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I don't have personal experience with charging animals, or hunting for that matter, just to put my opinion in perspective.

But, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with a 7.62x39 round for large charging game. I'd want something on the order of .308(7.62x51NATO) or bigger and even then, I'd be pumpin' as many rounds as it took to drop it. You can probably take it with one shot to the head, but good luck doing that under the stress of being charged and it's head moving around. Honestly, .338Lapua or bigger might be a better suggestion.

If you're thinking you like the fact that you have the bayonet for backup (which you didn't say, but the thought came to me as I read your post), then you might want to consider a Mosin Nagant M44, with a 7.62x54R round (similar in energy to .30-06) and a fixed, foldable spike bayonet that is longer than the blade on the SKS. Unfortunately, the Mosin is a bolt action, but you can get decently quick with the right ammunition and training/practice.

My $0.02.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
For large charging carnivores, start at the .338 Win Mag with 250 grain bullets, and move up from there.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
The most important factor when being ferociously charged,is keeping your mind don't panic.The hunter can have a full-auto AK47 or the H&H Double 600 if he/she cant contact the kill Zone,the hunters dead or worse.Wounding one is a sure one-way ticker to the happy hunting grounds.It's the kill zone above all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'll assume by charging, you mean that the bear/mt. lion will be within 25 yards. The 7.62x39 will kill them. The problem is that the animal will be moving pretty fast (charging) so wether or not it is dead before it gets to you is another question. I know of people killing black bears with a .223 ( I do not condone this act, as I believe in using a bigger round for hunting. I am just stating what I know). Like JoeLee said, its about keeping your mind strait and hitting the kill zone.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Once read a tale about a guide up Alaska way that had a brown bear charge from cover and he hipshot that rascal at near point blank range with a new 375 H&H his missus had give him for a birthday gift. Seems the bear turned away and made tracks, another guide and him found the carcass over a mile away with that 375 round having peeled the bears skull open from just above the left eye back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Whenever I go camping or hiking out in the woods I bring the SKS. Just to mess around and for self-defense. I live in AZ so no worries bout Grizzlies, but there are black bears and mtn. lions around here. I like the SKS cause it's durable, reliable, semi-auto, and my Chinese Paratrooper version is short and light so it's pretty quick to get it aimed and fire. Not to accurate, but good enough within 100 yards. I didn't get it to hunt, it's a "just in case" ya know. I couldn't imagine a real life scenario and if I'd react correctly and I wouldn't care if I mangled the animal with poor shots at that point. Just don't want it to eat me. The SKS would work for that I'm thinking!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Grizzlies,no. Black bears, yes Mtn Lions definately. I killed one with a .357 blackhawk many years ago. one shot was all it took. I once knew a old man in utah that hunted mtn lion with hounds and his lion (and everything else) rifle was a 25-20 winchester.

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
I'll assume by charging, you mean that the bear/mt. lion will be within 25 yards. The 7.62x39 will kill them. The problem is that the animal will be moving pretty fast (charging) so wether or not it is dead before it gets to you is another question. I know of people killing black bears with a .223 ( I do not condone this act, as I believe in using a bigger round for hunting. I am just stating what I know). Like JoeLee said, its about keeping your mind strait and hitting the kill zone.
if its charging you and its only 25yds. away itll take a miracle to kill it before it tears you up!by the time you got the gun up it would be finishing up killing you.

25 yards at 30mph is right now!

30 mph=44fps

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If you got lucky and hit the right spot, everything would be fine. If not, you in deep stinky stuff. :34:

What about a 12ga with 3" buckshot or slugs? Cheap, dependable and effective? Inside of 25-yards, I can't really think of anything I would rather have - well except for that 40lb 50 BMG that the wife was toting through the woods for me! YEA RIGHT!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
To stop a charging bear, I'd probably rely on 5 quick-well placed 3" 000 buck shot. If it's still charging after that...then I was meant to die. :)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
That would be a unequivical YES Jason, 3 or 4 rounds at point blank range from a 10 or 12 Ga magnum loaded with slugs will pole axe MOST North American Game. Yer talking about a critter taking 3-5 ounces of hot lead at 15-30 feet.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
So is that SKS good for nothin? I've got a 30-06 too. Better to take then the SKS?
I'd take the .30-06 if you're worried about large game, but if it's a bolt-action, you may want to just go with the SKS for the quick follow-up shots.

Plus, if you think you'll be charged, walk around with the bayonet extended, so that you're pretty much walking around with a spear if the bullets don't stop 'em. No, it's not safe, but it really depends on how much risk you think you're going into. Though, if you think the risk is that high, you may just want to consider a nice cup of coffee by the fireplace with your feet up and a good book.:09:

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
just out of curiosity... where exactly are you going camping? there is a bear that walks through my yard every summer night and i dont take a gun to the dumpster with me. or when i am cooking out etc....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Arizona mountains Billy. I'm not lookin to go just blast any animal I see, I was just curious to see if my SKS would suffice if an emergency situation arose. I thought it might, but alot of people here are telling me to take the shotgun out instead. They'd prefer it over the SKS.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The SKS would do find for self defense. If you're not going to look for bear, odds are you probably won't get attacked by one. The 30-06 would be better for hunting, but if you're not looking for the bear, then odds are you won't be attacked. I'm pretty sure lots of people go into the Arizona mountains without guns (I work deep in Maine woods every day without a gun, and I know black bear roam the area).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts