Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother was very impressed with the SKS yesterday at the range and wants to get one for home defense. What are your thoughts? Pros and cons welcome!

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I really can't think of any negatives, other then the fact that it may be difficult to maneuver with down a tight hallway.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Personally if I were going to use a long gun for self defense it would be a shotgun. One reason is that you can cover more area with pellets than a single projectile. If you shoot the sxs and miss, the bullet could travel through drywalls and siding, ending up who knows where. If you have other people in your home they would be in more danger. Also just hearing a shotgun being pumped might scare off the intruder.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I agree with trapfreek, a shotgun loaded with buckshot would be a better home defense weapon, because the pellets won't go through every house on the block.

·
Registered
80 Posts
haha the other day i heard this banging around in my house, and i thought someone was breaking in, so i grabbed my sks, cause my shotgun was in my garage at the time, popped a couple rounds in, walked downstairs, and it was just a squirrel

i would recomend a shotgun for home defense, ive got a moss 500 12 gauge, shortened barrel, with pistol grip, laser sight, just point and aim!, its light and easy to manuever too. :)

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
i dont own a shotgun but i do have a sp101.357

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
SKS is a good SHTF rifle, but I would stick with a slide action shotgun. I have the Mossy 500 also. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The SKS will protect you at home, on the road, or at the office.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,945 Posts
First two shells in my Rem 870 are high brass #6 - I've seen this load penetrate 3/4" plywood. Sure, it'll go thru a wall, but will be much spread out and reduced, making the neighbors a bit safer.
If that doesn't convince the BG of the error of his ways, the next six loads are #4 Buck.
After that he get's a stern talking to by Mr. Colt . . .:)

There are Magsafe and Glaser Bluetip loads for the 7.62X39 - that would be better in your SKS for home defense duty. I use Glasers in my .45ACP Colt when at home.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I was going to suggest the Glaser loads as well, BD. BeeSafe and a few other companies make frangible loads also. The Cor-Bon Pow'rball looks pretty good for home defense.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
In my thinking any center fire rifle has the danger factor of wall penetrations ,if you live with loved ones or an apartment complex.In my situation if anyone friend or foe,enters my home Jug head will make Dog .... out of them,being denied human contact with the exception of me.My 870 loaded with #4 shot if needed will come into play as a last resort,being shooting anyone in the State of New York will require legal wranglings probably lasting years.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My Mossy 500 has 00 Buck shot alternated with magnum slugs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love my SKSes but not as a first choice for in house defense. First off a long gun is hard to negotiate thru hallways and doorways. Second, you have to deal with the penetration, at close range your bullet will traverse the assailant and still have enough energy to perforate the drywall and possibly injure your own family member. My personal choice is my Glock .45 loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs, I keep an additional magazine loaded with a mix of Hydroshock and FMJ. My wife stays upstairs with a Mossberg 500 w/pistol grips and 18" barrel loaded with number 8 shot. Before either one of us even thinks about going downstairs we release the dogs. If the intruder can get by the dogs, me and the wife, well then he's earned whatever he gets out of the house.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
SKS for home defense? Right now, at my house, that's all I got. If I had my other guns from my parents house to here, I would probably get my shotgun with bird shot or my Winchester 94ae carbine with .44 rem mag. The bullets for an SKS are designed for penetration not knockdown, which I prefer. :werd:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Trapfreek said it first and it was an excellent concern. Some rifle bullets will travel through your walls going to who knows where. Whereas, a shotgun allows for a slight miss and still is an effective way to stop the perp...and the pellets usually stay within the walls where they started.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
So what would be the best shotgun round for not penetrating walls? My two kids rooms would most likely be in the line of fire of my shotgun the way the house is laid out (split wing with rooms on the opposite ends of the house). #4 buck? I've had birdshot in there for a while due to over penetration concerns....

·
Registered
935 Posts
30-06 150 grain soft points. Yeah, it'll go thru the entire neighborhood. But so what...I don't like the sumbiches anyway.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
30-06 150 grain soft points. Yeah, it'll go thru the entire neighborhood. But so what...I don't like the sumbiches anyway.
I love it!!!!!!!!
I figure,inside the house,shotgun,outside the house SKS.:bigok:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts