Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this question has been asked before but how good a job does the 7.62x39 do on whitetails? Where I hunt, the deer average around 100-120lbs and shots are usually within 50 yards or less. I know that shot placement is everything, but I would feel terrible wounding and loosing a deer. We also have feral hogs that average around 150lbs, is the 7.62x39 enough for them? Does anyone have any first person experience killing whitetails with their sks? Also, what type of bullets do you use? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Provided the semi-auto action is allowed in your area the SKS round, especially in a HP, certainly has the ability to take white tail up to around 100-125 yards without any problems.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah where I hunt you can use any centerfire as long as the clip doesn't hold more than ten rounds. Have you ever personally killed a deer with your sks?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have not killed a deer with mine, but at 50 yds it should not be any problem. Just go with the hollow point or the 150gr soft point (my pick). It is not too far behind the 30-30 in velocity, and I have killed many dear with a 30-30, no problem. I think out to 150 yds or so you should be fine so long as you make a good shoot. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
iflylow74, I've not killed a deer with my SKS but I was commenting out of knowledge of the round's ballistics and from stories I have heard or read of deer easily being killed with the round.

Good luck.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,313 Posts
Make sure the gun will function with the soft points though. My first Norinco SKS wouldn't feed soft-points. Worked flawless with the FMJ and HP loads.
Down here, rifles are limited to five rounds. I'd have to either block the mag or use the flush-mount five-rounder.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
These guys are giving you good advice. The 7.62x39 round has killed many deer over the years. It has also wounded many thousands of deer. Please do not use anything but American-made softnose ammo when you hunt with this caliber.

Do not trust the foreign-made cheap-o "soft point" ammo, much of which is just a military round with the nose exposed. Pay the $12 and buy a box of Remington, Winchester or Federal ammo. Practice with the cheap stuff, but hunt with the good stuff.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
M dad has taken 8 Blacktails with his sks. He uses handloads with 123 grain softpionts(winchester and Corloct). Works like a dream. Good gun out to 200 yards if you can shoot.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The SKS is a fine short range deer rifle and can be used out to 150-200 yds if shot placement is good. I would suggest reloading or using the Cor-Bon soft point load if you can find it and then get lots of practice with the load you're going to use. The SKS is used quite a bit around here as distance is usually pretty short and a lot of shots are taken while bouncing around the pasture in a pickup on unrelated business. The SKS make a great truck gun as a few knocks and a little dust and dirt won't even slow 'em down.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I probably will use my SKS for deer this fall. I had a nice Ruger .243 but when my son killed his first deer with it, I gave it to him as a reward present,talk about a proud daddy!!! I will keep my eyes peeled for the good ammo. Seems like around here all you can find is the cheap stuff. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took a nice deer with my NEF 7.62x39. He dropped where he stood...but I was using 150 gr Hornady Round-nose bullets. These loads will also work in an SKS. I am sure soft-points would do the job just as nice...aand either of these WILL work in an SKS. Might not cycle easily in the mag, but the first one in the chamber is the one that counts. I have used all the way up to 200 gr bullets in my SKS...including 200 gr cast bullets and light 'thumper' loads. Makes a great Urban deer rifle...very quiet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts