Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an old worn Yugo that would not cycle. Got suggestions that it was a gas leak and saw an article about wrapping wire around the gas valve nipple to seal where it meets the gas tube. This worked to some extent but decided to look for a better fix. Found a thin 1/2 inch split washer in my washer collection that just fit around the gas
valve nipple and into the flange on the gas tube. It looked like it was made for that purpose. After that modification it shot 58 out of 60 with the two jams being failure to feed properly and not short cycles. I suppose a 1/2 stainless steel snap ring would also serve the purpose. If you're having problems with gas leak try this at your own responsibility and with care. It worked for me. The attached picture shows the washer at the red line.

Attachments

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,958 Posts
I just coated my Yugo's gas valvebody in Permatex Blue Gasket Maker - it's been totally reliable for three years and many hundreds of rounds downrange.
Gas valve works fine, still moves for "on" and "off", and regular cleaning hasn't affected it, even with brake cleaner and bore scrubber hosed thru the valve and gas port. It's the quickest and easiest fix I've come across. :)
My Yugo is a Bosnian War relic, not one of the newer "unissueds".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Big Dog,

Which end do you put the Permatex on? I looked up their site, and it looks like a tube that you squirt onto the area to be sealed? Then what? Reassemble the gas tube and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance,

Rolan Kraps
Gainesville, GA

·
36,958 Posts
RK, you remove the gas valve body (a small cylindrical steel piece inside the gas block. The button lifts out, then the valve body slides out the opening of the gas block. Clean it well, coat with a thin layer of the Blue Goop, then reinstall it. Put the gas tube back on, then put the button in the "semi-auto position", and let the stuff set. You'll still be able to move it to cut off the gas if desired, and the sealer can be removed if desired too.

I've heard of the "wire method", but most who have used it say it eventually blows out. The washer could be lost during cleaning also. The Blue Stuff stays there til you want to remove it. :)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
My Yugo is one of the Ex.cond ones...no probs yet...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tapco Has Got Some Nice USA Gas Tube Assemblies For SKS's y Yugo SKS's. Check Them Out...Good UpGrades! Gots A "Rare" YUGO SKS Model 59 [Similiar To The Romanian But Nicer] Nice Dark Wood Stock, Just Enough Worn Dings To Give It The "Historical Look". Gots It Cleaned Up, Wait'n For A Nice Day To Shoot It. Had Snow Today...God Purified The Air For GW Bush's 2nd Term...God Bless You All!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I made some new gas cylinders for the Yugos a few months ago. They have all worked perfectly. Not a single problem. Funny thing is, the originals were made out of a much softer steel and they were subject to pitting early on. I have a few left in the old parts box, and can have more made. Cost is $5 each, plus whatever the actual shipping is to you. They're stainless and require no fitting at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Big Dog said:
RK, you remove the gas valve body (a small cylindrical steel piece inside the gas block. The button lifts out, then the valve body slides out the opening of the gas block. Clean it well, coat with a thin layer of the Blue Goop, then reinstall it. Put the gas tube back on, then put the button in the "semi-auto position", and let the stuff set. You'll still be able to move it to cut off the gas if desired, and the sealer can be removed if desired too.
:)
Hi folks... I'm new to the forum... but so far I like!

I have a quick question for Big Dog...
When you coated the valve body with the permatex... it sounds like you slide it back in while still wet.. is this correct?
I was a little confused because I wasn't sure how to keep the permatex from clogging up the gas port in the vlave body when I slide it back in...

Did you avoid that area with the goop? or will I need to clean out the port after I slide the valve back in?

....just trying to avoid any undue mess :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made some new gas cylinders for the Yugos a few months ago. They have all worked perfectly. Not a single problem. Funny thing is, the originals were made out of a much softer steel and they were subject to pitting early on. I have a few left in the old parts box, and can have more made. Cost is $5 each, plus whatever the actual shipping is to you. They're stainless and require no fitting at all.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Calvin I would like one of the stainless for a Back up ..

Would you post how to purchase for all to view?
Marion

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I just coated my Yugo's gas valvebody in Permatex Blue Gasket Maker - it's been totally reliable for three years and many hundreds of rounds downrange.
Gas valve works fine, still moves for "on" and "off", and regular cleaning hasn't affected it, even with brake cleaner and bore scrubber hosed thru the valve and gas port. It's the quickest and easiest fix I've come across. :)
My Yugo is a Bosnian War relic, not one of the newer "unissueds".
Big Dog yours is just worn out thats why it works He He:)

·
36,958 Posts
Seven years now - and she still 'runs like a Deer'...... :smirk:
Still on the original Blue Goop too!

I am surprised - I had thught it would be a very temporary 'fix', that I would have to reapply every few months. Permatex is Da Bomb!! :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Had a Romanian SKS with a gas leak where the tube fit on gasblock,the tube was not oversize it was the gasblock undersized,made a bushing to fit gasblock and seal the tube out of an old berdan primed 8 mm Mauser shell.I had been printing all over the place and noticed a ding in the crown so a little valve grinding compound and a oversized round nose FMJ bullet chucked in my drill took care of the ding.My scope needed a little adjustment it was a 2.5x20 Tasco for BP and shotguns,it will put 10 shots at 50 yrds into a single ragged hole.No more jams and a huge inprovement in accuracy.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts