Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got a sks and have decided to upgrade it drasticly i bought the tapco T6 fusion stock and new gas piston, op rod and i got the replacement tapco gas tube for the yugo rifle. once i got all the parts and stock on and i shot it and the gas tube / op rod lever pops up every time i shot it to the 10 o'clock position and relises the gas tube. when i installed the tube it was very tight and would hardly move in any direction and when i shoot it it stove pipes too what would cause this i have refiled the gas tube by takin it to a welding shop and added metal ( and i proly voided my warenty to ) and refiled and took a lot less metal off the seccond time which made the fit even tighter but it still stove pipes and the gas tube releases everytime unless i hold down the gas tube when i shoot but i cant do that and shoot well so i think the gas tube is basicly to short and that is not my fault that is tapcos fault cuzz i never filed on the front of it well i did just i was only trying to square up the sides after i had some metal add ed to it and can tell that in the picture u can see the first time i filed it and the last time i filed it

mooseman where art thou:feedback:

Attachments

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I have never seen that problem occur... The latch should hold that dude in place and not unlatch...the pressure should release as the piston drives rearward ...Make sure your holes are lined up properly for free movement of the piston, and the latch is in the proper locked position....
Rich

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
scout, you're going to want to take a long, hard look at the gas tube itself. If the pix are anything to go by, at the very least you need to bore out the end so it is round and smooth, not oval and ragged. You may want to polish the inside of the tube as well. Try a mop with jeweler's rouge on it, with the cleaning rod locked into an electric drill.

Also, measure the gas tube and piston that came with your rifle carefully. Then measure the aftermarket replacements you bought. You will probably learn something there that will tell you what the trouble may be.

And just for an experiment, take your stock gas tube and put the new piston into it. Latch it into place, fire a couple of rounds and see what happens. This ought to give you an idea if the trouble is with the piston, the aftermarket gas tube (IMHO probable) or the latch itself.

Let us know what you learn, will you?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well when i first got it i cleaned it and shot it with all the original part it worked fine

when i got my parts the replacement gas piston was longer than the originial but like a 2-3mm and when i stand the gas tubes on end the replacment tube its shorter not by much and when i really looked at the original gas piston it looked like it was bowed a little bit but i could hardly tell maybe a illuson i dont know

now the end of the replacment tube is not smooth cuzz when i tryed to make the end of the replacement gas tube round i scrached the inside i little

where could i get the stuff i need to make it so it was smooth again

is the gas system on a sks really that touchy ? that just a few milimeters would make a differance

I have never seen that problem occur... The latch should hold that dude in place and not unlatch...the pressure should release as the piston drives rearward ...Make sure your holes are lined up properly for free movement of the piston, and the latch is in the proper locked position....
Rich

it its, it is very tight i when i filed on i took my time and checked it each time and only filed what i need to off

·
Registered
2 Posts
sks level

My sks lever behind the handguard also unlocks during shooting. I used a tapco handguard and paid a gunsmith to put it in but I figured he didn't know what he was doing. Tapco was nice enough to refund my money but I used the original gas tube and cylinger with tapco polymer handguard and guess what? The lever pops up when I fire my Yugo. I bent the lever at a severe angle and put it back into the mold so I am going to try to see if this fixes the problem but I'm not optimistic. I shoud have just kept my chinese Sks and not added the yugo and instead used that money toward buying a second AR. LIve and learn.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Another reason to leave your SKS stock. Why does everybody have this burning itch to Bubbatize their rifles?

·
Registered
1 Posts
sks rifle/new member

Hello my name is michael and I am new to this site. I have a sks and I installed the tapco set up the rounds will not eject the rounds out of the gun. so I had the firing pin and ejecter all rebuild. I went to the range today and it seems to be a little beter but still will not ejecter all the way out know.someone told me that it is the gas tube it might have a crack in it because when I was shooting it the bolt was not going back all the way at least that what it looked like. my friend was watching the bolt go back and he was the one that tald me that it looked like it was not going bacl all the way I just want to make shore that this could me it. my email address is [email protected] thanks

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Tapco furniture doesn't change the function of the rifle. It's just different furniture. Mine has always functioned 100% regardless of what stock it was in. I've had the ATI folding stock with ATI gas tube cover, Tapco stock with Tapco gas cover and original stock. Always worked 100%. As for the lever popping up, perhaps it isn't putting enough pressure on the sight base for it to stay put. pull it until it's pointed straight up and then press it towards the rifle a bit. It will bend it ever-so-slightly and will put a lot more pressure on the indentation that is supposed to keep it in place. My lever could be stubborn every once in a while, but never once popped out.

Oh and I have a Norinco SKS.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
That couple extra mm's in length in the rod could be the problem?

And I agree with Gandog56's post #8, in that it's another reason to leave the SKS alone.

·
Registered
249 Posts
GANGOG56 is right. Why fix it if its not broken. I am not psycic, but I am going to guess that the majority of guys that alter the SKS to make it look like a stud are between the ages of 18 to 35. Okay I'm 52. An old fart that likes to restore these and other rifles and pistols to there original apperance. And sometimes I make money doing it for people. To each his own as they say. Try restoring an SKS. I bet you will feel pretty proud to show it off to your friends. I know you can do it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have a yugo sks that has the same problem with the gas tube lever popping up and it is all matching numbers but the stock is a tapco. i have bent the lever and it still pops up.i unlocked the lever and the gas tube and be moved front to back but once the lever is locked down there is no movement.any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a yugo sks that has the same problem with the gas tube lever popping up and it is all matching numbers but the stock is a tapco. i have bent the lever and it still pops up.i unlocked the lever and the gas tube and be moved front to back but once the lever is locked down there is no movement.any suggestions?
Few thing to note here....

A: Make sure that the piston is not bent and dragging the tube to the rear when fired.
B: Make sure that the piston moves freely and un-obstructed from one end to the other.
C: Make sure ALL carbon is removed from the gas system.
D: You want the tube to go into the rear sight base as snugly as possible, so if it has movement forward and back when the take down lever is up.......Its wrong.
E: If you have a Yugo....you can fashion a paper clip into a ring aroung the gas valve so that when you put the tube on it will be more snug and less movement front to back.

If your take-down lever can be flipped up by hand......its wrong.
If your take-down lever is loose and wobbly with the gas tube & OP rod removed.....its wrong

9 times out of 10.....this is the fix.

"The fix is to peen the concave end of the pivot for the lever opposite side from the lever itself "left side". Support the lever side area along the axis of the through pin against a solid object making sure the other components are clear. Use a ball bearing in the recess in the flared end of the pivot and strike it with the hammer. You ca also use a flat face punch on the flared edges to peen them down slightly. I would not bend the lever unless you are certain the pivot is already tight and the lever is somehow bent in the wrong direction."

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The only thing thatI have changed on my Yugo SKS is the sights I replaced the standard iron sights with a "fire" sight in front and a peep sight in back and I still have the regular ones if I ever want to change them back. Other than that it is all factory. When you go changing stuff that aint broke and things dont work right try putting it back the way it was and then seeing if you still have the same problem. If you do, then you need to take it to a competent gunsmith and if you don't, now you know what the problem was.

P.S. The fire sight and with the peep sight work great. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always been more of a "purist" as well.

BUT......

Its your firearm, do what you want to it.

Funny thing is that almost every single time I have read about someones SKS flipping up the take-down lever while shooting.......It was on a rifle in its original configuration and ZERO alterations. :thinking:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts