Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frank has a Yougo sks. He told me he needed to set the headspace on it. (He said the front of his brass cases were swelling out, and one I accually saw looked like it had a hairline crack on it. But it may have just been a scratch from where it ejected.) Does anyone know how to, or IF it is possible to "Adjust" the headspace on a SKS???
I did not know sutch a thing was possible. But then again, I dont know much anyway. :feedback:

By the way, I could not tell any "swelling" of the cases. I guess he is getting this with a micromiter. ( He is also an ASE cretified mechanic. ) I thought ALL cases swell a little when fired. Am I right on that?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
You are right.If there is a headspace problem it would be easy to see with your eye.Most cases swell as much as .003,sometimes more.Headspace makes them swell more forward than out. sam.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of SKS' out there with headspacing issues. Those guns were so crude to begin with...

·
Registered
234 Posts
millitary firerms have receivers that withstand higher pressures so a little excessive headspacing is " usually " not a big deal, cracking at the neck is not uncommon as well, my M1 Grand dents all the necks of its spent cases which is pretty common among these rifles, and I am sure the millitary was not concerned since they were sure that there solders where not going to stop in the heat of battle to police up the brass for reloading.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
res45, thanks for the link! I e-mailed him and had a reply in about 20 min. (at least, it was 20 min. before I went back to my e-mail, and the reply was allready in.) He said that he still thinks it is in the gas system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts