Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My Father-in-Law wants to take me Hog hunting. I was wondering if an SKS would do it. The hunt is more for pest control than acual hunting (They eat what they kill. Divide the meat up among the hunters). It will be my first time hunting hogs (I will be hunting in Ohio) though. I heard they can be tough little buggers.

Thanks in advance for your help:)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Since the 7.62 x 39 is pretty close ballistically to the 30-30, it should do the job. I would use the 154 grainers rather than the lighter bullets. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man I would love to go on a hog hunt with an SKS :196:. Wheres about in Ohio will you get to hunt them at,I know their in the southern part of the state moving north.Thought I seen some damage done by them in some fields close to where I live but didn't get a chance to check it out yet.Its all about shot placement like Casull said its close to the 30-30 which is large enough.Happy Hunting:burnout:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Casull. I haven't tried any of the 154grs, but I did pick up some of the Barnul 125gr soft points. They are fairly accurate (1in at 50 yards).

shjf - Its somewhere in Champain county. A friend of my F.I.L. has a farm out there, and wants them gone. they are tearing up his crops. From what I hear though, he's picky on who he lets on his property.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
never notice before but what part of indy do you hail from?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I don't see a problem with it, as long as you use a bullet of proper construction. Those hogs can be tough critters.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I didn't know the 7.62X39 is similar to a 30-30. Did the countrys that use SKS'es use the 7.62X39 as there main military cartridge ? I can't think of the word I need to use, so I used "military". A.H

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've heard of some good size deer being dropped pretty easily with an SKS, so I don't see why a hog wouldn't go down. There are some nice soft point 150+ grain bullets out there for the SKS, which would do the job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts