Votes: 9 4.8%

Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 3 1.6%
201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
they do bring a very good price if in good original condition. I owned one in the eary 60,s, I bought from hunters wear house for 19.00. ammo was hard to get then so down the road it went.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I rated the SKS a 7 due to the design and ease of manufactuing. The weapon is accurate, durable and efficient. The drawbacks are: fixed magazine, short sight radius(even if it's still a killer), lack of sufficient power at extremly long range, mushy trigger, and etc. I know stripper clips increases the reloading speed, but it's hard to duplicate removable magazines. The sight radius and ammunition while effective at short ranges they lack in extremes. However, it's inception came from the German influence toward the end of WWII, where house to house fighting proved a full size infantry weapon to large. Of course, it adapted well to the jungles of Vietnam. I know most of my comments duplicate the previous ones, but I only re-inforce their thoughts. My last time in Vietnam, 1969, I had an opportunity to bring back an SKS, but after a gigantic paperwork hassle I left it.

Indy
Thanks for your service sir. I watch a lot of documentaries on military history and when Vietnam started and first however many years a soldier could bring back an sks with filling out a form or 2. By the middle to end of the war (dont we agree it was a war) a soldier had to fill out many forms. I guess it was the government's way of slowing the arms brought back.

Ts

·
Premium Member
6,336 Posts
Thanks for your service sir. I watch a lot of documentaries on military history and when Vietnam started and first however many years a soldier could bring back an sks with filling out a form or 2. By the middle to end of the war (dont we agree it was a war) a soldier had to fill out many forms. I guess it was the government's way of slowing the arms brought back.

Ts
The SKS rifles were captured by the thousands. The Sea Bees would stack them like fire wood.
The stack was laced with explosive. They were returned to Chinese scrap metal.:usa2:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,372 Posts
Looks like a decent price, assuming the bores are sound.They should be; as I understand it the ChiComs used chrome steel for the barrels and the receivers.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Dragunov it is well that shooting is going so good for you! We have folks around my AO that hunt deer and hogs with great success with the SKS carbine but I don't know what ammo they use. Same in my old home state of Louisiana.
I use Yugo, FMJ. Others I've hunted with used Federal. About 1, in 10, miss, or don't kill the critter outright. I caught a lot of crap using brass cased, FMJ, but mine hits where I'm aiming within 250 yards (My longest shot on a hog), and they drop IMMEDIATELY, every time. I keep trying to tell my friends with AK's, and SKS', here in Texas, that they MUST know, where that FIRST round, out of a cold, barrel is going to hit..... EVERY time! Most shots that miss, or wound, are the first round out of the barrel. Most people don't take their SKS, seriously, but they should. I know EVERY bump in my trigger, and I know EXACTLY when that weapon is going to go off! I can get uncanny accuracy from my Milled Norinco, because I became a STUDENT of that rifle! In my hands, I'll put it up against ANY Garand, AR, AK, and even some decent bolt guns, and outshoot them every time. My AR is "accurized", and has a match trigger. My "junky" SKS, is more accurate than my AR, even with the SKS "gritty" factory trigger.

Reactions: Dannyboy53

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
The Western Ranchers often armed their cow camps with the Winchester Mdl 94 30 WCF carbines. In the 1980s they began arming the Hands with the SKS Chi-Coms. These inexpensive rugged little carbines can still be found on the saddles and wagons way out West.:)
True! and for good reason. The 7.62 shoots a little faster, and flatter, and hits harder than a .30-30. I hung my lever gun up, once I figured out my SKS was superior, for hunting.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I read something the other night that I wanted to post in this thread, and now I can't find it.

It was the perspective of a Bosnian partisan during the Bosnian Croat war. The gist of it is that he loved his rifle, decorated it, made it his own, and thought it was far better in many ways than the AK he had been issued when he was a Soviet soldier. His was an early pattern M59 Yugo.
Most likely, he was using Yugoslavian, M67 ball, brass cased KOMADA. This is like "match grade" ammo for the SKS. I have several thousand rounds of it, and won't use anything else in my SKS.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts