Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 3 1.6%
21 - 40 of 210 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
i wouldn't know how good it is

only ones that really used it in combat regularly were the NVA/VC, and maybe a few SOG's

Reactions: jerry

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
My step dad was in the 101st. He did tell me once they (VC) used to ues the bayonets to stick the SKS in various strategically located trees in the event they needed them. They were like Bick lighters, disposable but reliable.

As far as cartrige effects, the 7.62x39 has a well nown reputation regardless of what launches it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always wonder about the whole magizine is faster/better than stripper clips thing. I'm sure you could change a mag quicker than charge with stripper clips, but I don't think by all that much.
Of course a mag will generally hold more (say 30rds for example). But how many mags can you really carry?
Say you have maybe 5 30rd mags (one on gun, four in pouches)
so 150 rds total
That is probably more than what most would carry but anyway..

thats only 15 stripper clips
I have 2 double pouches that hold 10 stripper clips (200 rds)
I would guess it weighs at best 2/3 of what 5 mags weigh (probably less) and could easily carry those plus a couple of 20 rd boxes in a pouch. overall heavy but not terribly so

Add to that reload time for the mags, an ak guy could carry some boxes as well, but he cant get them into the mag as fast.

On top of that I can load 1 round much quicker than on an ak if need be. He has to pull magazine put in round replace mag, pull bolt. I just drop one in and pull the bolt. He could put one in thru eject port, but thats a fumble he's prob not used to doing.

Plus I don't have to worry about broken mags, lost mags, worn out feed lips,etc.

On top of that I can lay low, and fire aimed shots from the dirt, not gonna happen with a big mag hanging out.

anyway, just a ramble

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
well its been a long time for me but I remember the vc would use any thing they got thier hands on, and when someones shooting at you its hard to pay much attention to what they have, I have maybe an observation, I remember a lot of sks with rotten stocks, it seems to me the ak would hold up a bit better in the jungle, I saw a lot of sks with rotted out stocks, of course it was just junk to us, but I seem to remember a lot of rotted sks, at the time I didnt know what it was nor cared, but after bieng here for this time talking to you wonderful guys, im sure it was sks's, just an observation

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Bolt actions are very viable in a combat situation depending on your desired end result. One shot One kill! A good bolt action is better than an a crappy auto loader anyday.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
lever guns are not combat weaponry, what fool thought that up:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think the 7.62x39 is a very underated round. In a good rifle it can be very accurate. With hollow points it can be devastating. I voted a 7 in the poll but think I'd raise it to an 8. Its efficient, light, and reliable. Not nearly as powerful as an .06 or 8mm but powerful enough to do the job it was designed to do...and do it extremely well.
500 yards may be about its maximum effective range but thats over a quarter mile. Not bad for such a small round.
And then you throw in the "fun factor" Its a blast to shoot it cuz ammo is cheap!:assult:

·
Registered
517 Posts
According to my father, who is a veteran of the 25th Infantry Division, the Vietcong must have highly prized the SKS, since you NEVER found one abandoned in the field. The only time that he ever recovered one, it had a cord tied to it, so that another man could recover the rifle if necessary. The cord on this one had broken. In contrast, his unit often found Mosin Nagants, French surplus, and the like abandoned in the field.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just got out of the Army and have bought my first SKS. I have found it to be more reliable and easyer to maintain then my M-16A2 ever was. It has a much more natural feel and has a real nice balence to it. Anyways, it's not that hard to drop a 30 round mag in one. I would much rather take my SKS into combat then a M-16A2.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Mine are more accurate and easier to control under rapid fire than the AK. I think its all because the stock is longer, heavier and easier to handle. Once I got some decent ammo, I have never once had a misfire. The AK has never messed up either with good ammo but its more of a spray and pray gun. My Chinese SKS (scoped) will outshoot many rifles costing 3 times as much. I love my SKS's!!!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I think the lower reciprocating mass and heavier receiver make the SKS action much smoother than an AK. Being designed as semi-auto only from the start has a few advantages (and disadvantages). The fixed mag really does grow on you, and in a sharpshooting scenario, I could see it as useful as a banana mag.

In a SHTF scenario, it would go to family members or other non-front-line people, more of a designated marksman role.

21 - 40 of 210 Posts