Votes: 9 4.8%

Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 3 1.6%
41 - 60 of 210 Posts
G

·
Rave said:
I like the SKS,mine are all gone except for one Norinco "paratrooper",16" barrel on a folding stock,got it from a licensed dealer and have paperwork.
It is a neat little weapon and I am going to put a blast cone on it when I find the proper one. in my opinion they are hard to beat for the money,easy to clean,and reliable,accuracy is good enough for me.
Got it before the gun registration began.
sounds like you're talking about my SKS Rave :assult:

·
Registered
41 Posts
12 am by by awb

Reactions: jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
1)How you obtained this knowledge
Just shooting an SKS. Lots of experince with other combat firearms to compare it against.

2)How reliable was the SKS (loading,feeding)
Very, it likes pretty much any cheap ammo I throw in it.

3)How did the SKS compare against other rifles
Good dependable close range rifle.

4)How did the user load/execute in combat for speed
Unless you mean combat style shoots, can't answer that one at this time.

5)How was accuracy and penetration
Accuarcy is fair. 3 inches at 50 yards open sights. 1/2" scoped.

6)Did the SKS perform in averse conditions
It doesn't need to be babied.

7)On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the SKS
Rated it a 7

·
Registered
7 Posts
"They" took away our M14"s in the Nam and gave us M16"s. We went from the best to the worst overnight. The M16 is a total POS and you could not GIVE me one, except if the mission was to destroy the dang things. It is now 2006, and it's STILL the same thing, the M16 comes up short EVERY TIME. I've a few guns, and the SKS is my favorite. My shoulders are arthretic, so a "full power" cartridge is out of question. What it gets down to, is practice, practice and more practice. I can hit what I want, out to where it is, and that's all that matters. If I see you, before you see me, you're dead. That's all it boils down to. I find stripper clips faster then magazines, and easier to carry. Besides, magazines get in the way. The M1 allowed you to lie low, and it's the same for the SKS. A 30 round magazine keeps your head a foot off the ground, making a great target. That's why I'll see you first. ATT the 6.8 is making waves in the military, so is the 6.5 Grendel. There must be a reason, think about it. Still, when anything is happening that might require an armed response, I ALWAYS grab my SKS
out...
I give it a solid 9, only because there is nothing serious in 6.8 ATT Once the FN SCAR hits the market, that may change...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think the 7.62x39 is a very underated round. In a good rifle it can be very accurate. With hollow points it can be devastating. I voted a 7 in the poll but think I'd raise it to an 8. Its efficient, light, and reliable. Not nearly as powerful as an .06 or 8mm but powerful enough to do the job it was designed to do...and do it extremely well.
500 yards may be about its maximum effective range but thats over a quarter mile. Not bad for such a small round.
And then you throw in the "fun factor" Its a blast to shoot it cuz ammo is cheap!:assult:
I totally agree that the 7.62x.39 is underated! It causes massive damage to everything it hits. There is a reason it has been around since the early 40s, because it works and works well. If shtf, I would go for my SAR-1 before the AR-15 and note because of the gun because of the round.

·
Banned
882 Posts
I gave it a 9. The reason is because it is a little long and does not handle well indoors.

In real combat it would laydown accurate sustained fire for a much longer period than a magazine that is removeable. Lets say you have an AK-47. You fire, reload, displace. Maybe you have time to pickup the empty mag to reload later or maybe you have to leave it. if you survive long enough and are luckey enough to retain half of your mags, you now have to reload the mags, underfire. Reloading mags takes a while in non-combat times, and is even more stressful while being shot at.

Lets say I have 2 of my bandoliers that have 200 rounds each. It will be alot lighter than 400 rounds in AK mags and will alow for a longer period of sustained fire because of the shortness and ease of loading the SKS. Longer, more accurate sustained fire is better in combat.

As for accuracy? A trip to the range when me and my shootin pal went to the local range and we setup on the 300 yard line. The local expert laughed at us and proclaimed to all present we would not even touch or targets at 300 yards. My buddy went first. Buba chattering behind us prompted me to get a nice grin on my face as he let loose all 10 rounds as fast as he could regain a proper sight picture (with open sights). The local expert laughed. and called a cease fire so he could prove his point.

We said nothing on our trip to the target. When we got there there was a nice 10" group dead center on the B-27 target. I pointed to holes in the target and told him if he would have slowed down he would have not had 3 fliers that opened his group up and he pointed to the ones he called off as bad shots.

I remember looking back at the local expert, he stood there scratching his head. We brought the target back and one by one everyone that agreed with the local expert came over to examine the target in silence.

Guns used were Yugo M59/66. Ammo used was 1981 Yugo M67 ball.

If I had to engage targets from 50-400 yards right now I would grab the SKS and a bandolier of Chicom ammo (very accurate in my Yugo).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
All the SKS rifles I have shoot really accurate. THe Yugo probably the most, but all are pretty dead on. I see why they would be a good choice in a combat situation, but it is hard to tell being that they were so short lived in combat. A little bulky, but a lot of battle rifles are. I would like to see how the shorter paratroopers shoot, I want one!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
my Ruskie is always right on. at 25 yards however it is about 1/2 inch low, but all my rifles are. you just have to ajust. at 100 yards and 200 yareds and im sure beyong my SKS will be dead on also with the appropriate sight adjustment

·
Registered
211 Posts
sks is great but under rapidfire conditions, i see the barrel overheating becomming an issue. as for the cartridge, works well but i rather have a 7.63 nato. i have read about m14's, m16's, ak's and fals being refered to in this thread. that being said i would take a FAL over any one of these!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The FAL is a thousand dollar gun, when the SKS is a hundred dollar gun, a little different. The SKS get no hotter than the AK-47.:uzi:

·
Registered
630 Posts
the sks in my opinion is an all around good gun at a good price. I was helping a buddy of mine out who wanted to start getting into shootin, so I took him looking for.22 rifles. When I started to see .22 going for more than an sks at classic-arms.com, maybe I should tell him to buy an sks over a .22

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
SKS....I like mine,with the 16" barrel,it is really handy.:lucky:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got out of the Army and have bought my first SKS. I have found it to be more reliable and easyer to maintain then my M-16A2 ever was. It has a much more natural feel and has a real nice balence to it. Anyways, it's not that hard to drop a 30 round mag in one. I would much rather take my SKS into combat then a M-16A2.
High capacity mags dont work well in Rapid fire with SKS. If im wrong please tell me a good high capacity Mag that is good for SKS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea they do have serious reliability issues when it comes to rapid fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I bought 2 Zytel 30 round magazines for my Yugo from floridagunworks.com

They work great for going out and doing some target practice and you do get a decent rate of fire. But when it comes to combat and you got in a situation where you needed fast as you can pull the trigger then forget about it, the Bolt wont close in after about 5 rounds of high speed firing, you have to manually pull it back from the spot it stopped and then release and youll get about another 5 rounds, couple of times i got lucky and was able to burn the whole clip up in a few seconds without a jam.

The only way to go in combat is the Non detachable 10 round magazine and stripper clips arent hard to master. I load mine in about 3 to 4 seconds which from my experience is less time than snapping that High cap magazine in. and ya dont have to hold the bolt open to load like ya do with magazine.

It would nice to get one of those chinese SKS's that were made with the factory detachable mags though. That would be a keeper.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The only magazines that work well in the SKS are the original 10 round nonremoveable magazines. I have had people brag about how well "their" 30 round removeable magazine works, and when they began to show me, it had the same high failure rate that all of the other removeable 30 round magazines have shown me.

Of course that was before the "Assault Weapon Ban" in California which is still in force, and is a moot point here in California, now, as an SKS with a removeable magazine is an "ILLEGAL" weapon, and could cause a lot of legal problems. The SKS with a removeable magazine didn't even qualify as an Assault Weapon, it was defined as an "ILLEGAL" weapon, and banned the same as all Class 3 NFA firearms, from private citizen ownership, in California. That didn't credit it with some legitimacy, as to effectiveness, it was the decision of Politicians that have little to no firearms knowledge!

`

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, i thought i was the only one that really likes the SKS. It's kinda cool to hear some history on it, as it is one of those guns that slipped thru the cracks of history. I have a chinese SKS in my arsenal. I often choose it first when i go shooting. i find it to be as accurate as my Colt AR-15, actually more. i can hit a spackle bucket cover at 200 yards 5 out of 5 times (quickly aimed) as compared to 2-3 with the AR.
i am surprised by the negative comments regarding the 30 round mags. I love mine. although i needed to recurve the "ears" that hold the rounds in. before, it would jam up, afterwards it was smoth as glass. i can let the whole mag out with no problems.
Also i have a spare 10 round fixed that i ground down in the area where the trigger mech. holds it in place. makes changing out to the 30 quick.
All in all my favorite gun
oh, i choose it before the colt AR, mauser 98k, m-14, and my ak (can you tell i like war rifles?

41 - 60 of 210 Posts