Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I'm new to these forums so don't hurt me.
I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if New Jersey has any restrictions as far as changing stocks on an SKS. I know the Federal stuff as far as the ten US parts and so forth. I can't seem to find an answer. I know in NJ you can't have an SKS with a detatchable magazine (go figure, since Arsenal's SA M-7 and Saiga's are legal). But I want to be sure about the stock thing before I change the stock.
I have a Yugoslavian M59 and a Yugoslavian m59/66 and I want to try out a different stock on one of the. I won't be making any irreversible changes to it.
Yeah, that was another question I had. I know my 59/66 isn't chrome lined (who cares, it's a great rifle), but I'd swear my M59 is chrome lined. Anyone know if the M59's had chrome lined barrels?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I thought the M59s didn't have chrome lined barrels, but I've never owned one, so I don't really know. Sad thing about changing stocks on the SKS is that in order to beat the parts count game you have to use a US made magazine - most of which are detachable. There are a few US made fixed mags out there, I have one actually, PM me if you really need it. My opinion though is that you'll try other stocks out there but like the original best when all is said and done.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm....I'll have to think about that. Are the US made fixed mags reliable? Do they hold the bolt open when empty?
Yeah, I've heard that the original configuration is the best. I have no problem with the original set-up. My Yugo's are my favorite rifles - commercial or military . The aim for me is really the intimidation factor (I could care less about the cool factor). I'd rather someone be scared off by the looks of what I'm pointing at them than to have to actually shoot someone.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
NOTHING is as reliable as the original mag - nothing. That said, US made mags have different levels of reliability. I believe I have used mine successfully, but I do remember having to make a minor mod to make it work right (for a new fellow to the forum, note that I've made many many gun mods successfully, both traditional and unorthodox ones.)

Knowing NJ's anti-self-defense leanings, I hear you on the intimidation factor. Honestly, a wood stock should be just as good as a synthetic one for housing a gun that will scare the crap out of an intruder. If that's not enough, I would suggest going to a shotgun of some sort. A pump would be my choice, another would be a Saiga semi-auto based on the AK-100. For intimidation factor, include a bayonet if possible. A wood stocked SKS with a bayonet sticking in their direction would probably be better than a T-hole stocked one without. A Mossberg 590 with an M9 bayonet, complete with the sound of racking the pump and the appearance with a heat shield and such, would probably be one of the best home defense setups possible. Other more basic pumps are fine too. If the perp knows anything, he might be most scared of a single shot, because he'd know you'd shoot to kill on your first shot.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
Anything other than true SKS mags are crapola...turn 'em into jam-o-matics...

U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Engineer Batt.
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

Come join my MSN community...........................240 MEMBERS STRONG!
Manager North American Gunrunners:
http://groups.msn.com/NorthAmericanGunrunners

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good food for thought. I was also thinking about getting one of those Hi-Point carbines since they're so cheap. They have a rather intimidating (and ugly) look to them.
And you're right, being in NJ, it's far better to make an intruder crap themselves and run than have to shoot them. But I imagine they'd (the big, mysterious, collective They LOL) try to prosecute you for making them crap themselves, too.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
Hi-Point...snicker,snicker,guffaw! :D

------------------------
U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Engineer Batt.
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
As much as I don't like them, about 9 months ago at a show I could of gotten a ex.cond used one for $100 otd!

Guy took it as a trade in his shop and was tired of looking at it...been there a year.
I him hawed around trying to decide whether to get it for an hr and by time I said what the heck...it was gone.

------------------------
U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Engineer Batt.
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never been a Hi Point pistol fan, kinda like holding something carved from a cinder block. But I gotta say the little carbine was impressive.
I hope I don't get yelled at for getting off topic. :)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
We all stray on here bro...especially me...:D

------------------------
U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Engineer Batt.
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

·
Registered
26 Posts
Change the stock to whatever you want. They is no restrictions in NJ. It must be fixed, not folding or collapsing. That's where you could run into trouble.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
There ya go...another guy from "Joisey" ;)

------------------------
U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Engineer Batt.
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
NRAJOE said:
As much as I don't like them, about 9 months ago at a show I could of gotten a ex.cond used one for $100 otd!

Guy took it as a trade in his shop and was tired of looking at it...been there a year.
I him hawed around trying to decide whether to get it for an hr and by time I said what the heck...it was gone.
Dear Sweet Lord, the end must be near :)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
silentknight said:
Dear Sweet Lord, the end must be near :)
Close...get your things in order....;)

------------------------
U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Engineer Batt.
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
I've been known to pizz off a Hi-Point owner or two...or three....or...:D

------------------------
U.S. Army 1976-79
237th Engineer Batt.
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

1 - 20 of 28 Posts