Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Identify which parts from this list you have replaced with US made. If your foreign parts count has been reduced to 10 or less, you're good. If not, you need to replace more.

1. Barrels (US available, not worth it)
2. Receivers
3. Muzzle attachments (exists only on Yugo M59/66, US made available)
4. Barrel extensions (doesn't exist on SKS)
5. Bolts
6. Bolt carriers
7. Gas pistons (US available at Tapco
8. Operating rods (This is the secondary piston, US available at Tapco)
9. Trunions (doesn't exist on SKS)
10. Triggers
11. Trigger housings
12. Sears
13. Disconnectors
14. Hammers
15. Buttstocks (Variety of Polymer US stocks available)
16. Pistol grips (not originally on SKS, but integrated to US made folders)
17. Handguards (US available with stocks)
18. Magazine bodies (US available)
19. Magazine floorplates (US available)
20. Magazine followers (US available)
Out of 16 parts (or 17 for M59/66 Yugo), there are just enough US made replacement parts to bring the count down to 10 or less.

And a word to everyone.

"I just did this to my SKS. Is this legal?" is a ridiculous thing to say on a public forum. Ask before you modify, and if you have no concept of patience, please don't post about anything you're not sure of.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
One can't import a foreign barrel made for a military rifle. Threading barrels here is fine IF the complete rifle would be compliant.

Note that the laws say threading for a flash hider, not threading in general. If you use a thread that isn't a flash hider thread and use it to attach a non-flash-hider, you don't have any restrictions to worry about.

If you DO wish to thread for a flash hider and the rifle is semi-automatic, you will need to make sure you have 10 or less listed imported parts. If it is not semi-automatic, you can do anything but cut a barrel to under 16".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I've taken my SKS apart several times. What are magazine floor plates and followers? All I have is a 30rd mag?

19. Magazine floorplates (US available)
20. Magazine followers (US available)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
The floorplate is the piece at the very bottom of the mag that you can probably remove. The follower is the piece that slides inside the magazine and ends up at the top when it's empty. In other words, the part that pushes the round up. Mag bodies are the main part of the mag.

The original fixed mag has these three components as well, only thing is that the body is internal, the follower is on a lever, and the floorplate is the only thing you can see outside of the stock.

So using a US made detachable mag takes care of three compliance parts. A chinese SKS starts at 16, having no trunion, no flash hider, no p-grip, no muzzle attachment, and no barrel extension. Adding a US made stock and handguard takes care of two more. The p-grip doesn't count since you never had one to begin with. So a Chinese SKS takes one more compliance part to be legal. You have your choice of primary piston or secondary piston (op-rod).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts