Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got another "stupid newbie" question:

I have a Yugo 59/66. It came with a 40 round mag when I bought it, but I just read that putting a big mag on the yugo makes it illegal. Is this a federal or state thing? I live in Arkansas and gun laws are pretty loose here so I dont know if this applies here.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm not sure about the legaliity, but I'd remove it and put an original 10 round fixed in it just for reliability. Nothing performs better than the original mag.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,690 Posts
It's Federal Law. Section 922 deals with firearms, and it's broken down further, like 922(r) concerning what is legal for consideration as a C&R gun. Section 922(v), IIRC, deals with the parts count, but I don't have it in front of me just now.
Of course, California has it's draconian 'Assault Weapon Ban' still in place, and that gun would definitely meet their Hitlist requirements. No doubt, some other states would ban it too. New York, New Jersey, etc?

This 40-round magazine takes the Yugo out of consideration as a C&R gun, but that is really only important if you tried to sell it as a C&R.
It's the importation and parts count that is the important thing.
With enough US-made parts, you could put the detachable mag on (in Free States). Otherwise, I'd advise finding a fixed ten-rounder like it was issued with.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Dog said:
This 40-round magazine takes the Yugo out of consideration as a C&R gun, but that is really only important if you tried to sell it as a C&R.
It's the importation and parts count that is the important thing.
With enough US-made parts, you could put the detachable mag on (in Free States). Otherwise, I'd advise finding a fixed ten-rounder like it was issued with.
So as long as I dont sell it Im ok then? Its all stock except the mag. Could the pawn shop have sold it to me if its illegal?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Could they have? Yes. Would it have been legal? No. The problem with these laws is that they're so easy to break unintentionally. Drives home the point that they have nothing to do with crime.

If the rest of the SKS is stock, then NO it is not legal. Enough parts of the SKS would have to be US made to bring the foreign count down to ten. Good news is that the mag counts for three parts. A complete US made stock set, gas piston, and secondary piston would make it legal.

Or a fixed mag would make it legal AND more reliable.

"But Lord Siddeous, is that... legal?"
"I will make it legal."

·
36,690 Posts
One point many folks forget is that the loss of C&R status doesn't make the gun illegal to sell - it just can't be sold under C&R rules. It can still be sold or bought thru a regular 01FFL, as any other gun.
But the parts count still applies for any milsurp semi-auto gun. The AWB had nothing to do with that aspect of the gun trade.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Call me paranoid but I wouldn't rely on a detachable part such as a magazine to satisfy the US parts requirement. What if you ever have to deal with the authorities for any reason and they "accidently" misplace the magazine and you are found in violation of the law ;)

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Here's the thing - it's not having to contain X number of US parts, but bringing down the imported parst count. You can reduce the imported parts count by subtracting imported parts, you just have to use US parts to replace them if you want the gun to actually function.

An SKS with no magazine and an SKS with a US made magazine have the same imported parts count and legality.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yeah, I'd go back to the 10 round fixed mag. I put a 30 rounder on mine with a dragonov stock and enough parts to make it all legal. now I'm back to the origional stock and mag. The only non-origional configuration thing I have is a homemade peep sight. I've still got enough US made parts to make it legal to do anything I want to it. I guess most of us go through the same thing with our first SKS. trick it out as far as you can and then go back to the basics.

·
36,690 Posts
You're right, Rockhound! I did that with my first one - made a neat little 'tactical' gun out of it. Didn't care for it and sold it. Now, my three SKS's are all as issued. They are best that way. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts