Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quick question for yall. I bought a Yugo 59/66 and it came with a big honkin 40 round mag. Its cool for just plinking but I would like to find an original mag for it. Since it has the detachable mag now does that mean it can no longer take the original mag??

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ooops

Oh yeah I forgot to ask, if it can take the original mag, where could a brother find one?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The original can be easily installed, by removing the trigger assembly, very simple to do. However, with the original...the lever that you use to remove the hi-cap mag will only release the cover of the fixed mag to empty the shells. To switch back to the 40 rnd, you must remove the trigger assembly again.
Behing the trigger guard you will see a little hole with a 'button' inside. You can depress the button with a FMJ bullet or other pointed object. Just push on it, and pull the trigger assembly down and away. Install the mag, then re-install the triger assembly from the muzzle end first, tilt it into place and push it until it 'snaps' into place. It is really easy. This is also the forst step to replace the stock or to break it down for cleaning. Wonderfully simple firearms. I got my 10 rnd fized at a gunshow for 20 bucks...they are fairly common...but don't get one that has ANY plastic on it...they are fakes and they suck. I think you can also get one at Cheaper than Dirt, and a few other internet/mail order stores.
PS....I prefer the fixed mag. You cannot shoot easily from a rest with the big ones, or lean over the hood of your rig. Can't see any use for more than 10 rnds.....except for homeland defence etc...but you can easily fit the 40 rnd back if you need it. You can also put a block of wood in the 10 rnd so it will only hold 5 rnds and be legal for hunting in most states. All of the 5 rnd mags I have ever seen are garbage.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
There are also fixed 20 rounders available, but they are hard to find and the quality is extremely spotty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts