Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know which detachable mag would work on my sks. ive heard that some mags dont work because of the stock. i believe the stock on the rifle is the monte carlo stock ive seen on the web. much help would be appreciated.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Hey richard, it's been my experience that trying to use detachable mags in any SKS is just not worth the headache and heartache. Except for rare occassions, they all seem to have feeding issues. You may want to check with these guys though, I've heard some good things about their products.

http://www.rifletech.com/skssht1.htm

·
Registered
980 Posts
save your money buy some stripper clips and ammo.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The original ten round mag and stripper clips is the only reliable way I know of. I've heard the tapco mags work pretty good, but I haven't tried them. Personally I've never seen a detachable mag for an sks that was worth spit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Any of the fixed mags are good they were all made as original equipment on SKS rifles. The 20 rounders are harder to find though. I would say just stick with the 10 round fixed mag. It works well and stripper clips are easy to use.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've only seen one 20 rd.fixed mag. A friend had one on an sks, and it worked great. How ever loading the last ten rounds with a stripper clip could make you curse. They use to be pretty easy to find but I haven't seen any in a while.

·
Premium Member
30,695 Posts
i have never seen one that worked .....EVER!
maybe you will have good luck.
dont spend too much.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"Told you so".....son just had to have one of those "AK style" hi-cap mags on his YUGO. Aren't sure how much time has been wasted trying to just make it FIT let alone feed ammo!
Please don't waste your money. By the way, I tried one of the Chinese made 20rnd fixed mags - ftf issues and assorted other grief; turns out the spring and follower had been assembled backwards!!! Sold it on to someone who wanted to "tinker".

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a sino soviet norinco paratrooper that came from the factory accepting detachable mags. I have one chinese metal 30 round and a Tapco 20 round. All have worked flawlessly over hundreds of rounds not one problem. If you must try a removable get the Tapco it's quality. If you have to fit the stock Don't DO IT. Stick with the factory one.
SKS-M, SKS-D, and MC-5D are the ones Norinco made that accept the mags from the factory

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I too have wasted money on sks mags. I prefer 30 rounders but have only come across 1 steel one that worked and made the mistake of letting it go with a rifle. Recently I got a Tapco 20 rd. so far it is working fine. the main thing I dont like about plastic mags is the lips break. Why cant they make a working sks mag.?

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I have a typical Norinco SKS with 3 30rd steel and 2 tapco 20rd and they all work perfectly. I've has one jam in the time I've had my gun. Of course I've only shoot about 150 rounds, but my brother had it before me and I can't remember him ever having trouble with it. I know the steel mags will work with a monte carlo, but I don't know about the tapco mags. I upgraded my SKS to tapco stock and mags after I bought it, so I'm not sure if tapco mags will work in a regular stock. tapco works awesomely in a tapco stock though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts