Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really nice Norinco SKS with the black drugonov pistol grip stock, with a swat laser aim point, i have seen pictures of different SKS's with what looks like a muzzle tamer on the end of the barrel...that is the last option i need, does it even make a difference in recoil?? as my sks dosent kick that bad the way it is..just curious...
travis

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Muzzle brakes generally require there to be a bit of muzzle blast to make a difference in recoil or muzzle rise. With the length of barrel on an SKS, most of that's already done and there isn't much flash left to deflect. Longer barrels help reduce recoil by their greater weight and more time for the powder to burn and less blast out of the muzzle.

Brakes usually reduce recoil at the expense of noise. On most guns, I would rather have the extra barrel length that a brake would take up instead of a brake. Now flash hiders are another animal. I've had good experience with a few, but they were on shorter barrels, ie a 16ish" Saiga in 7.62x39mm and a 16ish" G3 in 7.62x51mm. The G3 with a longer barrel and a ban-era muzzle brake had a horrendous muzzle blast and noise. With its current flash hider I've found it much more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have a break on my Yugo, but it is for the grenade launcher. I think that an aftermarket would make zero difference and that they are trying to get your $$$$$$

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,339 Posts
I don't think that a muzzle brake really has much effect on the intermediate cartridge rifles. Muzzle jump and recoil are minimal already.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i dont think ill be getting one, even tho it was only $29.....the 30-30 barrel i am getting for my contender (14inch) has a fair size muzzle brake, but since its a really short barrel for that size caliber i can now see why its needed
thanks for the info
travis

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
There are a lot of aftermarket SKS parts that I do not recomend. :full:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts