Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally don't own either. But I do plan on it.
So which is the better rifle?
Design
Accuracy
Dependability
Cycling
I don't want to open a debate or anything, I just don't know a whole lot about these rifles first-hand.
My friend has a russian SKS that he sporterized, and it shoots excellent.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Congratulations myarmor, you may have just started a small war. I own an SKS, fired AK's in the service a couple of times, still want one. For plinking I prefer the SKS. But for any serious shooting, I'd go with an AK. The SKS wasn't designed for sustained fire, the AK was. My .02 cents.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,302 Posts
Bigdog - professional Devil's Advocate . . .

SKS, by all means!!

It's more accurate, is just as reliable, quicker&easier to strip and clean, has better fit and ergonomics for most shooters.

AK may shoot more rounds, but it can be a pain to remove & install magazines - some can be tight. I can carry lot's more SKS ammo on strippers, than Joe can carry those big heavy banana clips!
Ya don't need blazing firepower if you can hit what you're aiming at. :rolleyes:
Most shooters find the SKS more comfortable to shoot - that can mean better accuracy right up front - shorter learning curve.
And the chicks prefer the SKS! :)

I hardly shoot my AK anymore - my SKS rules! :cool:

And, I like real wood - not that funny striped stuff. Hehehe.

Now I'm ducking from the Wrath of Ohio, donning my Nomex Suit. :insane:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Big Dog. SKS is more accurate to a point, and fun to shoot. Looks better modded then the AK, but both are wonderful weapons to shoot. Just up to the shooter. I've got both, my wife loves the SKS more!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,216 Posts
Big Dog said:
SKS, by all means!!

It's
I hardly shoot my AK anymore - my SKS rules! :cool:

And, I like real wood - not that funny striped stuff. Hehehe.

Now I'm ducking from the Wrath of Ohio, donning my Nomex Suit. :insane:
Gee, might as well sell me that AK then.... :hmmm:

·
Registered
435 Posts
NRAJOE, did you forget your medication?

But he is right sadly, AK-47 is the better gun. But for the price of the SKS, it wouldnt be a bad idea to own one. Reason I dont have one is the cartridge itself.
Heavy bullet + Small amount of powder = Short distance
Like Me
Heavy weight + Small brain and energy = Guy who cant do math

But still wouldnt mind having them just to dink around with. With ammo that cheap, might as well.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,216 Posts
I don't relly care for my Yugo after all that cleaning...I'm a clip man evidently...gonna sell the Yugo and find me one of those SKS's MADE for AK clips....

G

·
I love my SKS..but if I saw an AK-47 at a good price I'm not fool enough to pass it up..I prefer American rifles though :usa:

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Design - Depends on what it's for. SKS was designed for aimed semi-auto fire. AK was designed for select fire. Losing full auto as a civilian kills the AK's biggest selling point to world militaries of the time. If you want to blast as fast as you can pull the trigger, the AK will do it and beg for more. The SKS is better for aimed fire. Doesn't have to be slow, but if you fire faster than you can aim you'll heat up pretty dang fast. SKS is also bigger and heavier for its capacity and bullet energy. So if you want a lot in a smaller package, get the AK. SKS is probably the better choice for hunting due to its profile and small mag that doesn't protrude much and is easy to trim or block. If you want detachable mags, get an AK. If feeding from strippers is fine, the SKS is good.

Accuracy - The average SKS beats the average AK. But the best AK beats the best SKS. Expect 2-3MOA from an SKS, 1MOA from the best of the best AKs (Bulgarian milled and Russian VEPRs on a different pattern and friggin heavy), 2-4MOA from the mid range of AKs (Hungarian, Bulgarian, Russian, Polish stamped) and 3-6 MOA for the lowest varieties (Egyptian MAADI, Norinco stamped, Romanian).

Dependability - The SKS is pretty dang good, unless you find a used up screwed up one, which you still may be able to fix. The AK is much better though. Loose tolerances and powerful cycling make this among the most reliable in the world. Dip it in mud, run it over with a truck, it'll still work. A jam in a standard caliber AK is cause for shock.

Cycling - SKS feels smoother, the AK has a much heavier, harder cycling bolt carrier that you will feel moving inside the gun. The lightest AKs feel like they have a mind of their own. I find this very annoying. Thicker receiver models and milled ones are much better in this way. An internal recoil buffer helps too.

myarmor said:
My friend has a russian SKS that he sporterized
Heresy! Russians are the most valuable and collecticle SKSs out there! Sporterize a Norinco or a beat up Yugo (not a good Yugo).

What do I have? Both, of course. I have had two SKSs and four AKs. All are good. If you want to add a pistol grip, detachable mags, non-compact scope, and other stuff, buy an AK, that's an order... don't butcher an SKS, at least not a military one.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,302 Posts
We certainly have our preferences, and it really depends on your shooting style and how you intend to use it.
I'm a "sit at the bench and shoot for groups" kind of shooter - the SKS rules here. The Yugo is a little cumbersome for field carry, but no more so than an M14 - very similar size and weight.
The AK rules for small unit ops - it's the supreme field weapon. In a hard-core SHTF situation - hand me my AK, Ma! :)

I tried scoping my Romy AK and using th shorter mags, for bench shooting.
I get just as good groups open-sighted. The AK shoots patterns not groups.
I'm hoping to try one of the VEPRs soon - a range buddy just got one.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. I guess Dallas was right. A small war indeed.
Anyway, I really like the SKS and will probably buy one of those first. But I really want to try out an AK. There is a reason it is the most widely used military firearm in the world. Time and tested I suppose.
As far as my friend sporterized SKS, well he did it like about 16 or more years ago so I am not up to date as far as sought after SKS's are concerned. (Aparently niether is he) But it is his favorite rifle. So I guess If he is happy with it....?..

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
The reason it is the mostly widely used rifle is because the Soviets literally gave them away by the thousands to ANYBODY who spouted anti U.S. or western slogans. Those they didn't give away they sold at bargain basement prices. It's so simple to use and maintain that any uneducated moron from the jungle/swamps/mountains etc can handle it. Just point and spray.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Myarmor get yourself a French Rifle. They have never been fired and were only dropped once. A little light sanding and removing the white fabric on the bbl and you'll have a military grade rifle for practically nothing.

Seriously the AK seems to be more rugged and able to withstand a wider range of "in the field conditions". They are cheaper tp produce and highly reliable which seems to be the Com bloc criteria in picking a weapon. Personally I prefer the SKS due to price and cosmetics.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,216 Posts
With the white flag flapping around the muzzle they stayed nice and clean! :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts