close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SKS problem

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Dan R., May 3, 2002.

1. Dan R.

Dan R. G&G Newbie

A friend of mine has an SKS w/DC engineering mags. It functions well except when he gets down to about the last four rounds in his mags. then the tip of the rounds jam not even a mm. low before feeding, is it possible/recomendable to use a dremmel/file to make a slight ramp to rectify this problem?

thanks in advance,

2. JohnD

JohnD Member

You mean file the chamber a bit? I would not do that. This problem sounds like a weak spring or somthing like that maby bending the feed lips up at the front would be a better solution but a stronger spring might work better.

3. Do NOT cut on your gun! If you must modify something,always grind on the cheapest part.In this case,work on the mag itself,or better yet,buy a 10 round military issue mag.

4. JohnD

JohnD Member

Heck just go back to the original 10rd one because they are the most reliable and reload twice as fast as removable mags. Your lucky to have 10 in canada I can only have a 5rd mag in my sks

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Call me wacky, but I lube my mags and sometimes even the amo in them. When storing mags loaded, I rotate them, and end up working the springs and followers in AND getting plenty of oil on my fingers and consequently the ammo too. Maybe this'll help. Otherwise, maybe look into new mag springs. AK mag springs might do it.

6. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

I agree with post stating general rule of always working on the cheapest part when fussing with a weapon.

And do agree with post suggesting simply sticking with the stock 10-round mag. I've found aftermarket detachable mags to be both esthetically displeasing and prone to mechanical problems. If you insist on a hi-cap mag, you may want to try one of the 20-round fixed Chinese mags, although they usually require some fitting and fussing to get them to work reliably.

Which brings us back to working on the cheapest part: Dremeling a feed ramp into the chamber of an SKS so that a duckbill mag will work seems like silly sacrilege.

But don't agree about lubricating mags. I'd been given to understand that mags should be routinely cleaned, wiped down with an oily rag just enough to prevent rust, but never actually lubed. And that ammo should not be lubed.

Reason being that lube will attract and hold dirt and grit. Grit and lubricant is a bad combination, producing lots of wear: Valve grinding compound is essentially lube and grit. Early Mauser semiauto rifles required lubed ammo, and that requirement was one of the reasons why they weren't successful.

Last edited: May 13, 2002
  7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

SOMEONE ONCE TOLD ME THAT YOU CAN ADAPT AK-47 MAGS TO FIT ON SKS'ES .DON'T KNOW IF ITS TRUE OR IF IT WOULD HELP.

8. BattleRifleG3

Sutro: My ammo doesn't get lubed that much, mostly accidentally. I've found that if dirt ever touches ammo in a mag, a little oil helps wipe it off better. Just my experience.

NRAJOE: My SKS uses AK mags. It's a special factory adaptation that's quite complex and unusual. For one thing, the mag well is fastened to the stock. The mags fit farther up into the rifle than any other rifle I know of, or rather the stock reaches farther down, since the SKS was designed for a fixed mag that was supposed to be more durable, and was thus recessed farther into the stock. Using AK mags is a capability that the SKS wasn't designed for, so it has its quirks. It takes a little more technique to fit the mag in. Also, it's kind of hard to replace the stock, since it incorporates the mag well. Now the thumbhole stock on mine is pretty neat, sized for American shooters instead of impoverished communist peasants. The bolt does not hold open on the D model. The 84 pre-ban model has a knob on the bolt carrier to depress to hold it open.
    Advantages are the capacity of AK, and ability to use the variety of affordable AK mags (except drums). Mine feeds fine. AK capacity with SKS accuracy and simplicity are a nice combination.

As far as a home conversion, you'd have to have 10 or less imported parts to be legal, including magazine. USA AK mags are more expensive than SKS detachables, and there aren't too many US made replacement parts out there. I thought of trying to make a Mini-30 mag conversion, but have yet to get a standard SKS.

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

THANKS FOR THE INFO BRG3! THAT WAS INTERESTING. I HEARD THAT A LONG TIME AGO BUT WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS TRUE OR COULD BE DONE, THANKS.

10. JohnD

JohnD Member

I have the plans to do it. Got them off the net somewhere I forget. Also have the plans to make it full auto but I do not intend to do that. In canada the mag conversion is totaly leagal ecept you have to have modified mags that only hold 5rds. I am tempted to do the conversion for the mags. The chinese sks runs at just over $100 canadian so if I wreck one rifle I have lots of spare parts. Looks simple enough but you have to make a totaly new mag catch and lots of fileing and milling with a dremil tool, but it can be done if you are good with tools and are verry carefull. Sucks to be in the us if you want the conversion but If I lived there I would just buy a ak. I cant give you the plans because I just printed them out and do not feel like typeing 5 pages and without the pictures you would be lost.

11. BattleRifleG3

Plans are on www.simonov.net . It involves serious milling of the receiver and bolt. I wouldn't even think about it without a milling machine.
    Reasons I thought of Mini-30 mags instead of AK mags:
    1.) Mini-30 mags are made in the USA and there go 3 imported parts.
    2.) Mini-30 mags are thinner and shaped closer to the standard SKS mag, so massive receiver modification may not be as necessary.

I even had the wacky idea of making or attaching an AR-15 mag well and using the rare 7.62x39mm mags for the rare ARs in that caliber. But I'm told they don't feed well. I dunno. Mini-30 mags are more common and less expensive.

12. KidKwiK

KidKwiK G&G Newbie

Your best bet is the original 10 round fixed Mag. It is very fast with the stripper clips to reload and the most dependable. Let your gun work the way it was intended. All I ever hear is people complain about there detachable mags.

13. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

I agree with KidQuik and JohnD,stick with the original and you won't go wrong!:nod: :nod: :nod: