Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Call me wacky, but I lube my mags and sometimes even the amo in them. When storing mags loaded, I rotate them, and end up working the springs and followers in AND getting plenty of oil on my fingers and consequently the ammo too. Maybe this'll help. Otherwise, maybe look into new mag springs. AK mag springs might do it.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Sutro: My ammo doesn't get lubed that much, mostly accidentally. I've found that if dirt ever touches ammo in a mag, a little oil helps wipe it off better. Just my experience.

NRAJOE: My SKS uses AK mags. It's a special factory adaptation that's quite complex and unusual. For one thing, the mag well is fastened to the stock. The mags fit farther up into the rifle than any other rifle I know of, or rather the stock reaches farther down, since the SKS was designed for a fixed mag that was supposed to be more durable, and was thus recessed farther into the stock. Using AK mags is a capability that the SKS wasn't designed for, so it has its quirks. It takes a little more technique to fit the mag in. Also, it's kind of hard to replace the stock, since it incorporates the mag well. Now the thumbhole stock on mine is pretty neat, sized for American shooters instead of impoverished communist peasants. The bolt does not hold open on the D model. The 84 pre-ban model has a knob on the bolt carrier to depress to hold it open.
Advantages are the capacity of AK, and ability to use the variety of affordable AK mags (except drums). Mine feeds fine. AK capacity with SKS accuracy and simplicity are a nice combination.

As far as a home conversion, you'd have to have 10 or less imported parts to be legal, including magazine. USA AK mags are more expensive than SKS detachables, and there aren't too many US made replacement parts out there. I thought of trying to make a Mini-30 mag conversion, but have yet to get a standard SKS.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Plans are on www.simonov.net . It involves serious milling of the receiver and bolt. I wouldn't even think about it without a milling machine.
Reasons I thought of Mini-30 mags instead of AK mags:
1.) Mini-30 mags are made in the USA and there go 3 imported parts.
2.) Mini-30 mags are thinner and shaped closer to the standard SKS mag, so massive receiver modification may not be as necessary.

I even had the wacky idea of making or attaching an AR-15 mag well and using the rare 7.62x39mm mags for the rare ARs in that caliber. But I'm told they don't feed well. I dunno. Mini-30 mags are more common and less expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.