Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned one until now, and I am confused as to how I would use extended mags in it. Currently it employs what I assume to be a stripper clip. To describe it better when you release what appears to be the mag it is attached by a hinge and hangs down. My father in law gave it to my son as a gift and by the markings on it I know it to be Chinese. How do I configure it to work with detachable mags? I hope I am not sounding like a complete moron but to be honest I am feeling that way right now.
:feedback:

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
This video will explain how to disassemble your rifle. Don't worry if your's isn't a yugo. They all assemble and disassemble the same. When your rifle is disassembled, you just reassemble without putting the fold down mag back in. After its put back together, it will accept detachable mags.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Xck4WtlZc]YouTube - Disassembly and Assembly of a Yugo SKS[/ame]

·
Registered
198 Posts
The SKS was designed to be loaded by 10 rd stripper clips. They can be purchased for about 30 cents each & are very fast to reload with. The magazine hinges down so that it can be unloaded without having to cycle the action.
There are aftermarket "duckbill" detachable mags but they are cumbersome & not noted for their reliability.
There was an SKS designed to use AK detachable magazines (I think it is the D or M model. Can't recall which). You can also have the magwell recut by a competent gunsmith to accept AK mags but it's not worth the time or the cost.
Just buy a pack or two of the stripper clips & enjoy the rifle. The Chinese SKS are very accurate & utterly reliable if taken care of.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I can personally attest to SKS detachable mags working very well. I have three old 30rd metal mags that my brother bought at a gun show many years ago, and I have two tapco 20 rd mags. I've one stovepipe with one of the metal mags, and one stovepipe with one tapco. Other than those two, I have never had any problems whatsoever. Granted, they need slight fitting to the individual gun, but a pair of pliers and a simple file is all you need. In my opinion, detachable is the way to go. Its also quicker to get into action for home defense if needed. You have 2x - 3x times as much ammunition and can change out for another 20-30 in less than 5 seconds. I just don't see any advantage to stripper clips(unless you live in an area that doesn't allow anything more than 10 rds).

Also about the SKS being designed for stripper clips, that is true. However, that's what the large majority of military rifles had at the time and so that's what they went with. As time went on, the design improved with detachable, larger capacity mags.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
i can personally attest to never once in my life seeing a detachable mag work well in a sks.
admittedly i have only seen 8 sks's that someone tried it with.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
SKS video

Hey, loved the video. My son recently purchased a SKS with a synthetic stock and he wants to change it out to the original wood. This will help. Also, it has a detachable 30-rd clip that works excellently. No problems whatsoever..

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
You have to mess with the mags before they will work properly. With the tapco, a little bit of filing on the lips because they were tight. With the metal ones, what I've read is that they sometimes need bending a little. When I bought my SKS and three mags from my brother, they already worked very well and so they needed very little work. One did need tweaking just barely to work perfectly, but it worked well enough before I did anything. They also fit perfectly in my Dad's SKS. I haven't shot his rifle with my mags, so I don't know if they'd jam with a different gun. Anyway, point is some will work, some may not. If it doesn't, carefully examine why it won't and fix it. Chances are its nothing but a little bending or filing the mags.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JMP8927 Thanks for the video clip that was great. I took it apart without a hitch. It was actually easier than my old remington 6mm that I had when I was a kid! I just found out that the rounds I put through it today were the first. My father in law gave it to my son, he got it a few years ago and all he did was clean off the cosmoline that it was stored in. I am so stoked I just wish he had two to give away so I could customize one and leave the other stock. But again I have to say thanks for your feedback it was invaluable for me.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Hey man, no problem. That's awesome that you got an unfired rifle! I wish mine had been like that:sad: Its a Norinco as well. But considering what I payed for it, I got the best deal I possibly could, and I haven't looked back!

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Hey JMP8927...again, wonderful video. After putting up the Christmas tree, I decided to give my son's SKS a shot. Our gunsmith showed us how to break it down to clean but not as far as your video did. Well, needless to say, I followed the video exactly and wow, it was indeed easy. Thank you so much!! This SKS apparently still had tons of cosoline in it's working innards, and no one had taken it down this far to clean it!! It's still like new with a synthetic, gray-striped stock on it. My son wants to convert it back to wood or maybe something a little sinister-looking. Ammo for it costs $4.49 per box here,(Barnaul), and it works flawlessly. He paid $200 bucks for it and I think he got a great deal, and I believe the deal was even sweeter after viewing all the cosmoline in it. Thanks again, and have a Merry Christmas!!! No, I'm not politically correct either!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts