Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to look into the SKS... but who manufactures them ? Are any made in the states... or by a well known manufacturer ?

any web site suggestions ? ballpark figure price ?

Really I need the same info for the AK-47 aswell...

thanks

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Military surplus from various east block coutries around the world. I would try to find a chinese or russian model if it where me.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,313 Posts
Prices generally start around $200 and up for a good Chinese model, $350 up for a Russian, $150 for a good Yugo model.
The SKS was never produced domestically - if it were, it would cost $800 and be a bit prettier - but no better in performance. Maybe less reliable in the long run, due to our insistence on tighter tolerances. This would work against the SKS and AK designs.
I'm not well up on the AK - but I think there are some domestically produced variants. In any case, many use a US-produced receiver with surplus parts. Someone else can better discuss the AKs.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ive had an sks for about 15 yrs

got a norinco sks about 15 years ago for about $60.00.... i have shot several thousand rounds through it and never one malfunction.... this is a totally reliable rifle and it is quite accurate with the military sights it has..... this is one of the cheap chinese stamped sheet metal ones...... i would assume that any of the eastern block sks's would perform equally well..... i have heard that the east german sks's are quite good, and the russian ones nearly so..... i see no reason that the yugos sks's would not be reliable shooters... you need to remember that they are ballistically the equivalant of a 30-30 wcf...... they are very good for what they are...... if i lose control of my gun buying impulses i might buy another..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts