Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one could let me know about how well the receiver scope mounts for the SKS work? I've notice that they don't cost much any more, which is nice, but I'm just curious to know how accurate they are, seeing the the receiver cover isn't too solid and can get bumped around by the recoil of the rifle. Just interested to know if That's actually worth it or not. Thanks. Sean M. Hartman

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The receiver scope mounts suck. They do not hold a constant zero and work their way loose. Your best bet is a scout mount that replaces the rear sight for a scope mount. It is rock solid but you loose your iron sights. There are side mounts that work well too, but are much harder to find. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
30,695 Posts
they stink. that said i DID have ONE that actually stayed put .but it was a freak occurance. its the only one ive ever seen or heard of that worked.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think that there could be a way to fit one on a little better? Maybe add some metal, take some metal? I like the position of that mount compared to a scout mount. It's a good idea, but I figured it wouldn't return to zero. I dunno, maybe It's just worthless. Thanks though. Sean M. Hartman

·
Premium Member
30,695 Posts
you could add/build up metal to it i guess. like you say they are cheap, give it a whirl!

·
Registered
306 Posts
you could add/build up metal to it i guess. like you say they are cheap, give it a whirl!
This is what I have done to mine. Long storry short, I had one good freind TIG weld a bead down the bottom edge of my scope mount/reciever cover, and have another great old freind who just so happens to be a machinist take a lathe/mill and cut the weld down to -.002 " . It's super tight!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
I have two that work well for now. The first one simply mounts like the original, and was NEW, so I filed it slightly to a tight fit. It doesn't rock. BUT . . . it will likely loosen with time and recoil - remember, the bolt carrier slams into the back inside it every shot! A recoil buffer may help.
The second one I have is the type with the four set screws, two to a side. More secure, but it won't achieve the exact same adjustment when reinstalled each time. It also leaves marks ont he reciever - so it isn't good for that "collector grade" early Russian SKS you want to keep pristine!
As I said, both work, but I rarely use them, as I don't find a scope really that useful on an SKS. My personal experience is it doesn't generally reduce group sive - it just makes the smaller and more distant targets easier to see, for those of us with older eyes. YMMV, as usual. :)

Reactions: Dannyboy53
1 - 8 of 8 Posts