Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I never thought the scopes were too close until my girlfriend complained about it hitting her brow repeatedly. Come to think of it, one knocked my brow years ago, but I ascribed it to inexperience.

Perhaps mounting the scope as far forward as possible while not interfering with the strippers would be the way to go?

The mount I'd suggest is the Leapers one with screws that tighten to the receiver. Others are either not as good or way more expensive than the rifle is worth.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
The Choate mount shown would be the most solid and reliable, but you would have to have your receiver drilled for it and the stock cleared to fit it. Pretty much a gunsmith job unless you have boresiting resources.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The mounts that simply replace the cover, are not very good at retaining the zero after each shot. That rear cover is sloppy loose, and the rear cover mounts are not much tighter.

Any scope mount that attaches directly to the receiver should be far better than the simple cover replacements. You do have to mount them to the receiver with screws, which means drilling and tapping the receiver.

The Choate mount looks as good as any I have seen, (most of the fairly good ones have been home made, by machinists or well qualified gunsmiths).

One commercial scope mount, replaces the SKS rear sight with a scope mount rail, which you mount a pistol scope or red dot, and you still have stripper clip loading capability. It is pretty solid, but replacing the rear sight is not a simple task, and way beyond the average persons' abilities (I have done it once, but I will pay someone else to do it if I replace an SKS rear sight again).

`

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Like Gyrene, BRG3 and Pred eluded to the 'clamp on' Choate style is better than the replacement receiver mount style.

I've had experience with the latter and they just don't don't allow the scope to maintain zero long.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts
I have both the Leapers mount with the screws - it is secure, but the skinnr rail can let larger scopes slip fore and aft. It works okay with shorty scopes.
I also have the Redstar mount that simply is a new top cover. It is quite secure, since it was new, and the front prongs are over sized. I filed them just enough to have to tap it into place. It may get sloppy over time, but it is solid at this time.
Problem is, the scope doesn't really help most SKS guns - they aren't tight enough shooters to make it matter. It just makes seeing a distant target easier.
My Yugo is a different matter - a 6X42 scope made it a much tighter shooter!

At the moment though, all three of my SKS's have no scopes on them. :)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
The receiver cover mount with screws that tighten it firmly to the receiver isn't bad at all. A good choice if you're not sure you want to forever scope your SKS. Also doesn't cost you boresiting materials or gunsmithing services. But if you're SURE you want the scope, the Choate is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have mine adjusted all the way towards the back of the rifle. I had to move my eye at the most, one inch back as well. I like this scope because I can also use the regular sights with it, just look between the scope and receiver cover and your set..
Best,
Chris

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
iflylow74 said:
Im thinking about getting one of those reciever covers that has the integral scope mounts on it. They kinda look like they put the scope too far back in the shooters face though. Has anyone had any experience with these?
http://www.gunaccessories.com/MilitaryScopeMounts/SKS/index.asp

Also, is there any better system out there that you guys know of?
:wave:
I have no experience with the SKS, yet I have recently mounted a Russian sniper scope on my Enfield. It seems to me that the eye-relief of the russian scopes is very short. I remarked on it, in fact, as the blood ran from my eyebrow into my beard. Perhaps the scope is mounted so far back precisely because of the short eye-relief, and the fact that the SKS for which the scope was designed does not pack the same amount of recoil that the .303 British does?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I used a RedStar mount and added a locking screw that impinged on the retaining pin. Most of these mounts are made with the front tabs slightly oversized so you can file them down to fit so you don't want to get too crazy with the file. I also used a Leapers 6x32 scope that worked much better than I expected for the $$$. It held zero very well but it would flare really bad if you were in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would recommend going to sportsman's guide website and looking up softeye, for one of those little soft rubber eyepieces that fits on the eyepiece of the scope. Gives you a better picture by blanking out your peripheral vision in the scope eye(I shoot both eyes open with iron sights and low poer scopes) it cushions against "scope eye" AND it looks wicked cool, like an SVD's, PSOP(?) scope!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ruger, that is cool as he......I won't finish cause it'll turn into exclamation points when it posts. That is a fine looking sight for an SKS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have one of the scope mounts like you were looking at and it seemed to lock it in place pretty well but i took it off because i dont like a scope on an sks much. It is a good rifle but when it comes to the trigger mixing it with a scope just doesnt make for great accuracy. but if you want one id say go for it. I could be wrong but if the choate mount is directly to the stock then the gun could shift and you could lose your zero but im not sure.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
The Choate mounts to the receiver, just needs part of the stock cleared away to accomodate it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Mine fit without stock mods...perhaps the same basic style just produced slightly different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts