Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many scopes to choose, which do you prefer, the one that replaces the black bolt top, or the one that uses railing, etc.:uzi:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,339 Posts
I have two different SKS scope mounts.
1) The 'tap-in' type, with the front prongs that must be carefully filed to fit the particular rifle. Once fitted, it is tight and secure, and will fit only that rifle well. On another rifle, it'll be loose and sloppy.
2) The 'set screw' type. Uses two setscrews on each side to lock it in place. Uses a narrow 'rimfire' style rail - needs a Weaver rail for better security.

The problem with a scoped SKS is that it will not appreciable improve accuracy. I does make it easier to see the target, but experience with the open sights is far better. A scope is just another thing to break.

·
Registered
211 Posts
daddy likes breaking things! Big Dog is right, as allways. It didnt improve my acuracy and the rounds eject and bang the heck out of the scope!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
If your ejected rounds hit your scope, you either have the wrong scope or the right scope improperly mounted. Or you need a shell deflector. Using a shell deflector will require use of a detachable mag.

Another good option is a scout type scope mount that replaces the rear site.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,339 Posts
I use the shorty 4X scope, so shells eject well and don't hit the scope. Also, I can still use the strippers to load. But, with practice the open sights are as good at typical SKS shooting distances.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I went to a good scout mount and never looked back. I have had all the variations of the reviever cover mounts and they all move a little. Even the best ones after I modify them to br s little more stable still wingle a little, but that scout mount never budges. I will admit that I don't like having that certain eye relief for having the scope so far up on the stcok. I think that I may tap and drill a permanent mount and be done with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just returned the scope mount and shell deflector I bought for my Yugo. When I tightened the side screws tight enough to hold the thing down, the bolt would freeze. When I loosened the screws, the little nuts would unscrew and fall off. They also put 4 dings in my blueing. The SKS is so easy to take apart and put together that this mount seemed to defeat the purpose. The shell deflector covered the rear site so my raised scope mount was worthless. It was a big pain, so I'm back to iron sites and my groups seem better. There was a kid at the range 2 weeks ago that had a nice little 7" scope that seemed to work for him. Maybe I'll try another mount some day. This one really turned me off to them for a while. I was thinking of buying an SKS that I don't mind choping and drilling. Maybe I'll get a side mount for that. Here's a fantastic site for SKS info: Collecting and Shooting the SKS Carbine - Disassembly and Reassembly There are movies to download, pdf instructions on just about everything, step by step instructions, and lots of info on installing various types of scopes and mounts. Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts