Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a yugo sks and paid my dues taking the cosmoline off. I shot it into the river behind my house. I havent really got to shoot it much but it seems that after the first two stripper clips I've shot it seems to have a delay after the first shot but then after the second shot I can pull the trigger about as fast as I want and it will shoot. Has anyone had this happen or have any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks for any help

Ivan

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Some one is going to say it, so I might as well be first. You shouldn't shoot at water.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the SKS problem. I have one myself and haven't even shot the dang thing yet.

Welcome to the site! :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
What's the big deal about shooting at water? Bullets are pretty harmless once they enter water. Supersonic bullets disentigrate, subsonic ones just sorta drop to the bottom.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
The worry is that the bullets may skip across the water and hit something (or someone) unintended downrange. If he shot DOWN into the water, no problem.
I haven't ever heard of a delayed reaction like that. Is it the trigger not working smoothly, or the bolt working sluggishly? Did you leave the gas piston dry, or grease it? It should be left dry.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mmmmmm. Slow second shot eh? Maybe still some monkey grease in the bolt around the fireing pin. Had to put mine in boiling water for 10 minuts & then rinsed out with Outers Spray can of nitro solvent. Worked like a dream. Clean the trigger mechanisim the same way. that should (Hopefully) clear up any problems. Welcome to the forum! Most people in here really know what they are talking about, so you are in the right place! I know they have helped me out allot in building my dream SKS. I now shoot sub 2" 100 yard groups, and they are getting smaller every time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Field strip and remove the bolt from the bolt carrier. Hold it up and give it a good shake. You should hear the firing pin rattling around freely. On my SKS, even the light coating of oil I give the bolt carrier before putting it away will eventually weasel it's way down to the bolt and find it's way to the firing pin. You may even want to think about removing the firing pin from the bolt and giving it a proper cleaning that way.

Getting the retainer pin out of the bolt is a PITA though, and you really need to improvise some sort of jig to do it right. I can't give any advise on how to go about that, because I don't even remember quite how I got it out, I just remember that it wasn't the most sensible method...

Can bullets really skip along the water? I would think that the surface tension is far too little to bounce a bullet, even with the most extreme angle of deflection. Now that I think about it - lead in the water isn't cool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the advice I'm hoping to shot it tomorrow if I can get a chance. I'm gonna try all the things yall suggested. And by the way I was shooting pretty much straight down into the river behind my house, I know that it is not smart to shoot at an angle but I still appreciate the heads up.

Ivan

·
Registered
372 Posts
Skipped plenty of rocks, and shot at plenty of floaty targets in the river, never seen a bullet do anything but go plop in the water.

::Edit::
And it's a certain type of spin on a stone coupled with forward momentum that causes a stone to skip across water. Throw it too hard and too fast and it doesn't skip, because the spin isn't enough on it. I would think throwing a stone in a spiral pattern like a football, or a bullet coming out of a rifled barrel wouldn't create the proper angle of deflection to skip across water, the surface tension is too low. Instead, I think the spiral motion on the bullet would dig into the surface of the water.

Think about objects with a higher surface tension/yield strength than water. Start low, like cardboard. Still pretty wimpy, but more together than water is, what sort of an angle would it take to skip a bullet off a piece of cardboard? I think it would take a radically acute angle - it would be easy to test with some improvised equipment. The higher the yield strength of the substance, the larger the angle that could be fired at and still achieve richochet, all the way till you are perpendicular and there is no angle of deflection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts