Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Is there any reason that a SKS with a mag modified to only hold 5 rounds would have trouble being loaded via clips? Im having a really hard time doing it, if I had to do it in a fight i'd be dead 5 times over.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are you seating the clip far enough down in it's little groove? Is it possible that the modification is somehow blocking the clip from seating properly? Have you loaded other SKS from clips?

I probably can't give you a solution, but I'd like to know more about the difficulty you're having. Whenever I have problems loading from strippers, it's usually one of two things. 1) I didn't seat the clip far enough down into the gun, or 2) the clips had been loaded a while and the steel edges bit into the laquer finish on the Russian ammo casings, and had to be shaken a bit to break them loose smoothly.

Load the clip up, hold it in one hand over something to catch the rounds, and use your other hand to push the rounds out of the clip as if it were in the gun. Do they come out freely with the normal amount of resistance?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive loaded Enfields with clips before. The clips themseleves seem alright. It may be my technique, but ive messed with it to the point where I have a hard time believing that. I mean, if some VC squatting in a rice paddy can have it figured, so should I !!!!it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
what i'd like to know is; what in the wide world of sports are you doing with a five round magazine on a semiauto rifle?!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Gunnie Ed said:
what i'd like to know is; what in the wide world of sports are you doing with a five round magazine on a semiauto rifle?!
maybe he lives in one of them places that restrict magazine capacity, like Canada.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,217 Posts
I just wanna meet a stripper with an SKS! :kinky:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Texas and probably many other states. 5 round limit for hunting.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
If you are going to use a semi-auto rifle for defense you certainly don't want a 5 round magazine! Get another magazine asap!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Alan C. I don't know where you got your info, but there is no magazine cap restrictions in texas. You can go out hunting with an AK with a drum magazine on it, if you feel so inclined. Do a search on Texas Hunting Laws, I'm sure it will bring up some info.

Stock SKS are pretty durn popular hunting weapons in my area, among many people who can't afford anything better suited. One of my uncles retired his old marlin 30/30 after the first time he took his Yugo hunting.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Max allowed for hunting in NYS.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
BK- Check that the stripper clips aren't bent or torqued slightly.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
South Carolina restricts to 5rd mags for hunting as well. As for the feed issue, I don't know. If it's the original mag, it should be having issues. If it's an aftermarket mag, it would mess up.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I have sold 3 of the five round mags and all of them have problems loading with stripper clips .. At least all of mine did ..Gave one away but dont know if it worked right or not.. seems he had trouble with loading 5 in it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Howdy. Is there any reason that a SKS with a mag modified to only hold 5 rounds would have trouble being loaded via clips? Im having a really hard time doing it, if I had to do it in a fight i'd be dead 5 times over.
The rifle was designed to hold 10 rounds in the mag, not five; so if you die in battle you can blame and sue the Canadian government for crippling your gun.
If you hold only 5 round on the clip there will be no issue; if you use a full clip, the 6th round may lock the clip in the mag (it's been happening to me).
I had to tweak the pin as I couldn't get the 5th round in; I had to leave some play for the fifth round to seat properly and probably this is the reason for the sixth to lock the clip.

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Ohio restricts to 3 rounds when deer hunting with a long gun (shotgun only). No such limit on handguns, though, but you do need at least a .357.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts