Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just bought a SKS vented handguard for my yugo sks. It appears that it will fit, however, I have no idea how to get it on. It came with instructions but they are so vague. All I know is I need to push out the pin holding it together. However, the pins head is mushroomed on both sides and it says it will require drilling. Does anyone have any clear cut steps on this situation. Also, will the vented guard even fit on a yugo? It really looks like it will, but Im never sure about these things. Any help would be appreciated.

PS, the following smiley has no purpose in my post, but it is awesome. :full:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you attach a vented handguard, or was this just adding a different style one? Also, was this on a yugo or other model? BTW, I love your avatar, excellent show, hes my favorite character next to the old captain.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Replaced it with a "red dang near indestructible mystery synthetic" The wood one cracked on me.
Tried the Ventilated one on my other sks, but it's actually pretty worthless once on the rifle. (your hand gets really hot and it rattles)
Both were Chinese, the handgaurds themselves are all the same dimensions excluding the Albainian one. The gas tubes on Chinese and Yugos are not the same but the wood is.

Sparks is the man! :right:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey DBMF,
I'm a newbie also but these guys know there stuff and are very helpful. I have a Yugo also and the hardest part of stripping the cosmo, taking the gun apart and installing in a Choate Dragonov stock was getting that little stinking pin out. Luckily, the new stock came with a new pin as I had to annilihate the old one. A local gun shop wanted $25.00 to remove the pin. If you don't want the hassle, that might be the way to go. I chose to drill it myself and save the bucks. Thrawn was right about the pin getting mushroomed. I dremeled off the ends and then drilled. Take note, there isn't a whole lot of room for error here when drilling. The sheet metal end cap that the pin goes through got distorted and had to reshape, file and touch-up with flat black primer (sorry guys don't know how reblue). Had to also file down the Choate handguard a tad to get it to fit right but it looks awesome. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts