Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Norinco sks for $450, it also came with 18 boxes of the Green Norinco ammo. I do believe that it is a paratrooper model, I am not for sure though but the barrel does measures 16.5in in length. The thing I find weird about it is that there is only one place I can find the serial number on it and there is no Chinese symbols on in expect for the the triangle. I do not know a lot about sks's so if anybody could give me any information on it and how much it is worth I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
IMG_3982.jpg
IMG_3982.jpg
IMG_3988.JPG
IMG_3989.JPG
IMG_3990.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
Hi and welcome to G&G. I think you did ok and average price for the SKS and the ammo too makes it a plus. I have the Norinco ammo that I bought years ago and I think importation of it has been long gone. I have it in Green and also Yellow boxes. Do you have the original 10 round magazine with it? If you do have the shorter Paratrooper version they are more sought after and worth a little more. I have two Paratrooper models and they actually came imported with a 3/8" dove tail scope mount on the side of receiver. That's on the left side. I have seen others that have them with the scope mount base. Never did find out what adaptor fits that to mount scope. Your stock looks like it was patched and a dark filler in the wood.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
Thanks you for responding! I do not have the original 10 round magazine all i was able to get was the magazine in the picture. I also do have a picture of the ammo that came with it.
Yes that is the same batch of ammo I have. Whoever you got it from must have had the ammo and rifle for some time. That ammo has not been around for awhile. I also have a batch of Norinco scopes. Do you think your rifle was ever shot after the guy bought it?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,037 Posts
Looks like Factory 26....../26\
That was the most popularly used military factory for SKSes. Norinco was the trading company that exported them. Military SKSes are better made than the later commercial Norinco guns.

Reactions: Dannyboy53

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is the same batch of ammo I have. Whoever you got it from must have had the ammo and rifle for some time. That ammo has not been around for awhile. I also have a batch of Norinco scopes. Do you think your rifle was ever shot after the guy bought it?
Yeah definitely you could tell it has been shot a lot

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Using my standard dating method thanks to Yooper John's hard work it looks like it's probably a 1959' and it's one of the early norinco years that I prefer. I'm guessing that has the AK conversion mag and a threaded barrel . Definitely better than the late model pinned barrel norinco's . As far as the price goes, you done all right and I would probably value that discontinued ammo at $6 a box based on the current Russian ammo import prices (Monarch, Tula) .

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
What makes me really sick is to see the cheap production knock off sks's like the norinco model "B" or norinco sks-m-sporter's selling for $600+ because they're crap compared to a real Surplus SKS and it makes me smile when I see a genuine paratrooper selling for Less :) ...

Reactions: Dutch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What makes me really sick is to see the cheap production knock off sks's like the norinco model "B" or norinco sks-m-sporter's selling for $600+ because they're crap compared to a real Surplus SKS and it makes me smile when I see a genuine paratrooper selling for Less :) ...
Thanks for the info! But the one thing that confuses me is that my bolt carrier doesn’t have a serial number on the top unlike all the other ones. Do you know why this would be? And one last thing what do you think the actual value is on this gun?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,037 Posts
No idea on current values. SKS prices have really jumped over the years.
As to the bolt, who knows? Maybe it was changed out at some point? Many SKSes end up as mixmasters.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Not all SKS boen't. The reason why?, who knows...

Screenshot_2018-08-11-21-49-43.png

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I can only hope that the furniture isn't made from that notorious Chinese "chu" wood. That stuff gets dry and brittle, the next thing you know it starts splintering and chipping out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Looks like Factory 26....../26\
That was the most popularly used military factory for SKSes. Norinco was the trading company that exported them. Military SKSes are better made than the later commercial Norinco guns.
I agree Big Dog, I'm seeing arsenal /26\ also. Norinco did not get into business of exporting them until after the creation of Norinco in 1980 and it was a few years later that they began making the commercial model SKS carbine. A lot of people erroneously refer to all SKS carbines as a "Norinco".

This particular carbine was made at the military arsenal /26\ at Jianshe, China (http://chinesesks.weebly.com/arsenal-26.html) and years later converted to a Paratrooper model by being shortened, primarily for the commercial market in the U.S. As evidenced by the 3 million series serial number it's one of the earlier models (1958). Originally in it's military configuration it possibly had a blade bayonet and maybe a side mounted rear sling swivel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts