Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the SKS forum, but has anybody got to shoot the new Izmach (i THINK i spelled that right) SAIGA rifle in 7.62X39 ? Just curious as to how it stacks up against the SKS. I shot one in .223 and, well, i was left kinda numb. Best .223 semi-auto bang for the buck, But NOWHERE near close to the Ruger MINI 14 in overall quality. But I guess thats OK considering our local gunshop's price of $279.95 vs. the $600 plus dollars for the Ruger !!!

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Moved to AK forum, since Saigas are variants of the AK.

Mind saying how you consider the Saiga inferior to the Mini-14 in overall quality? Because they are more accurate and more reliable. The finish may not be as smooth as Ruger's but the objective of the AK is to be rugged and the Saiga sure does hold up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
g3, I think you may be onto something. You say the Saiga shoots better than the Ruger m-14? I was shooting 1" 100 yard 5 shot groups the other day with a Ruger. Weather was PERFECT. 65 deg. & barly a breeze in the air. If the Saiga can do 1/2 as good as that, I'd be mightly tempted to buy one. But I am mainly curious how they do with 20" barrel in .308. As that is the one that is calling me.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
The 22" barreled 308 typically gets 1.5 MOA or better with a skilled shooter and open sites.

The Saiga 223 often gets MOA or better with proper optics and mounts.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would take a Saiga over a Mini 14 or 30 ANY DAY. Ruger says that their new mini 14s are more accurate now, but the reputation has hurt em pretty good. I really like Saigas in any caliber really, especially the tricked out 12 gauges, so very sweet.

If you are still looking for a Saiga the best price I have seen them at is at classicarms.us He only charges 10 for shipping and if you find an FFL for 20 you are in the good.

The best prices anywhere right now on anything:
Classic Arms Inc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts