close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SKS which is the best

Discussion in 'SKS' started by ETB, Mar 29, 2002.

1. ETB

ETB G&G Newbie

I am looking to add an SKS to my collection, but know very little about them, I have WWI bolt actions primarily. I notice that the Yugo m59/66 is being sold all over at a broad range of prices. How does it compare to the Romanian, Chinese etc.? I would appreciate some direction from you guys that know these rifles.

2. The Russian SKS is the best to be found.

3. gun freak

gun freak G&G Newbie

yugo

I bought a yugo a couple months ago for $189 and it is in perfect condition and works great

4. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Well it looks like the Russian is the best,very rare now.
    The next is Chinese,getting rare.
    After the above two it is a matter of looking at what is left and choosing the one you like best.
    If you want one better get it now before nothing is left but the dregs!
    Good luck!
    If you can't find what you want,thank a politician!

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have a great "sniper grade" Russkie and a Yugo M59/66 in good shape. Both are better than a Norinco that I used to have. If you can find a Yugo that is in good shape, I would recommend that over a new Chinese gun. The main thing to check on the Yugos is the bore, then the stock and various movng parts, like the safety. Some guns are like new, but many have had a rough life. The grades put on them by importers is usually pure fiction. Guns with cracked stocks, corroded bores, and broken safetys are often labeled as VG.

6. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

which sks

I have a Romanian - works Great!
    Also have a Yugo - had a problem with the gas tube, but fixed it today and works fine.
    Don't know if you have studied up on this, but the Yugo are the only one I believe that don't have a chrome barrel - so it a bit more work cleaning it. Might check the gas tube if you can before you buy it -some are finding them corroded and pitted and end up having to buy a new tube and rod - extra 50+ fix if you cann't clean them up. The chinese - depends on the year whether or not you can have the bayonet on it - sometimes legal other times not. Romanian was about 250 and yugo 189, I don't have a C & R so I'm buying them at a sporting goods store - but I also get to look at them first. My Yugo has matching numbers - one of the reasons I got it. Hope you find a good one

7. Jdw, I have an older milled Chinese made in about 1958 and it doesnt have a chrome lined barrel. Wish it did. I had a newer one that was chrome lined. Maybe this wasnt done on the earlier ones? I'm sure its the original barrel because all the numbers match. Either way, they shoot great!

8. LOBO

LOBO G&G Newbie

I havent tried a Russan or a Yugo.
    I have played with my Ftherinlaws Romanian and it IS a very nice weapon.
    BUT MY Chicom paratrooper is excellent.
    I also HAD a Norinco with the screwed barrel before and that was super accurate but I traded it for a 30-30. I later bought the SKS I have now. Its more accurate that the Mini 14s that come to the range and I only paid about $80.00 in 1995.
    I do like those Romanians though. Too bad I cant find any for a fair price in Calif.

9. militarianut

militarianut G&G Newbie

no offense but I think your mistaken. its the Repubik of Kalifornia
    ha he he sorry just had to say that. Ohio is a hick state so WE GOT GUNS!!!
    -myers

10. shockwalter

shockwalter G&G Newbie

Go with the original, a nice Russian. I have a 1954 Tula and it functions perfectly. I've never fired a Yugo or a Chinese but I have handled both and you really can tell the difference in quality.

11. I agree with shockwalter. My russian tula is georgeous especially after i refinished the stock.

12. Has anybody ever heard of a KANE sks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2002
  13. Klaus how does one know if their russian sks is sniper grade or not. I own a tula--just curios:confused:

14. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

There is a number stamped on the front sight. 1 is the best grade, 2 is regular and 3 is poor. The Russian guns were tested for accuracy. I do not know what the criteria was, but # 1 rifles had the best groups and are referred to as sniper grade.

15. O.k. I'm looking at the front site and there is a 1 and a small triangle on either side. There is some kind of emblem in each triangle. Can't tell what it is. Time for bifocals.

16. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The one is a good thing. Not sure what the percenages are for the different grades.

17. Klaus, percenages, thats a new word to me.