Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read of an SKS variant called the "SKS-M" that seems to have detachable magazines, standard for the SKS and not a mod to allow you to use AK-47 mags with it.

What I'd like to know is if any SKS can be modified to replace the fixed magazine with a detachable magazine. I know D.C. Engineering in Michigan makes them in everything from 5 to 50 round sizes. I'd be happy with 10 rounds, as that size mag would keep me out of trouble with the Firearms Gestapo in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York. Plus which, it would preserve the look of the weapon.

Anyone know if or how this modification can be made?

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Depends on what kind of mags you're using. You don't have to mod anything to put a SKS detachable mag. If you want an AK-47 mag for your SKS, you have to permanently modify your SKS. I would just go with an SKS detachable. Now there is also another person who mags custom mags and a kit so your SKS can us his mags. But you can ONLY us his mags, so I haven't considered it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My chinese SKS works best with the stock 10 round fixed mag. The fixed mag can be removed with a bullet by dropping the trigger group and removing the fixed mag but the removable mags that I have tried have been finnicky. Stripper clips work great and can be reloaded in a few seconds. Certainly as fast as changing a sticky mag.

·
Premium Member
30,733 Posts
we need to make a sticky of this.
it seems at least once a week the same questions are asked over and over.
when i first got one i wanted to know the same things.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Yeah it is asked a lot. Your best bet is to go with the stock 10rd attached mag, or a Tapco 20rd. In my opinion Tapco makes the best detachable out there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah it is asked a lot. Your best bet is to go with the stock 10rd attached mag, or a Tapco 20rd. In my opinion Tapco makes the best detachable out there.
I've read that (about the Tapco 20’s), but I watched a guy at the range Sunday try two different Tapco 20’s in his SKS without much luck (failures to feed approximately every three to four shots). I spoke with him and he said he's never gotten a detachable SKS magazine to be 100% reliable, but he likes to load them all up at home for his trip to the range (he has 12 different ones). I guess he likes to practice clearing stoppages. He also said he uses only the factory fixed magazine and stripper clips anywhere but at the range.
YMMV

The only SKS I currently own is a SKS-M, and it works great with any AK magazine except for drums, and the one ProMag I tried.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts