close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SKS-Yugo Gernade Launcher Problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JDW, Mar 18, 2002.

1. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

I'm planning on purchasing a Yugo tomorrow. I'm purchasing it from a sporting goods store so no chance to acually fire it. I have heard that the gern. launchers can have a leak in the system. Is there anyway to check that before purchasing it? I've heard about a shut off valve for this also, where is that located? I did not see it before I put it on lay-a-way. Thanks

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The shut off valve is pretty obvious. It is at the front of the gas tube. It has 3 positions. Normal operation is diagonal, to the right, about 2 o'clock. Off is straight up. Note: you have to turn it to shut off to flip the grenade launcher sights up. The third position is straight up and back. This position is for cleaning. The cleaning position can only be used with the gas tube off. I hope you at least checked out the bore to ensure the rifling was good before putting money down.

3. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

leaking of gernade launcher

I have seen the position thing on the launcher, but did not know that was what turned the gas on and off. I've heard that there are problems at times with this leaking gas out, is there some way to check this out before purchasing?
    Yes, I've check the rifling - looks good. Thanks

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

JDW, I have had my Yugo for a little while now, and have had no problems with the gas system. I've shot Wolf, Russian, German, Remington and Winchester ammo, all with perfect operation. Differing accuracy levels, but that's another story.
    When shooting with the gas valve shutoff, I did notice some gas leakage sometimes causing the bolt to be "bumped", but not cycled. With the system "on", it works fine. Some amount of leakage is probably normal, as the gas system has no seals.
    Having gotten intimate with a MAS49/56 at one time, I saw the same thing. Some gas leakage in the valve, but not enough to cause a problem.
    The hot ticket would be to make an adjustable gas valve, like the Hakim. Then an adjustable trigger, receiver mounted aperture sights . . .

5. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

leaks

I read on some post that someone had problems with it leaking because there was to much play in the tube and they put an o ring in on the end and it tighten it up and solved the problem. I just go my Yugo yesterday, haven't had time to clean it up. The tube and rod are in good shape, looks like the safety has been brokern an crudely welded back on. But all the numbers match. Memory laps - the piece that goes over the bolt seems a bit rough looking, hoping to clean that up. hope it shoots well after the clean up.

6. bigwheel

bigwheel G&G Newbie

sks leaks

Klaus is right...

The following is my humble opinion and I take NO responsibility or liability...

Just last night. I found the leaking valve by : 1) dis assemble the gas tube assembly removing the hand guard and rod 2)place a SPENT , NOT A LIVE cartridge in the chamber ( leave the bolt back)
    3) place thumb firmly over opened valve, 4) seal lips over muzzle and exhale vigoriously (SEE PART ABOUT USING SPENT SHELL ONLY AND NOT CLOSING BOLT) I will not be responsible for someone blowing their brains out!
    Low and behold, air was obviously escaping around the valve.

Dis assemble valve as described by Klaus. Note pitting, corrosion and other bad stuff.
    I cleaned the affected areas with first a Dremel stone, then fine emory cloth. Cleaned the whole thing with "Gun Scrubber" and applied a thin coat of "JB WELD" metal epoxy around gas port hole. I guess PC7 would have worked too, but I had JB weld on hand. I think too much would be just as bad as not enough, but I did not coat the entire valve, just area adjacent to the port. Use your judgement.
    Reassemble valve only ( not handguard and rod) with selector button in place. Return to "shoot" or 2 oclock position. Right away, I alternated between using the gas port cleaning tool and a bore brush to repeatedly verify that no errant epoxy got in the barrel, while assuring that the hole is open to the max.

Cleaned up any excess epoxy around all areas and put it away for the next step. I plan to use aluminum foil ( several ply) to make a "gasket" between the valve and gas tube. This can act as a shim too if your tube is not tight.

Granted, If this works, I'll never be able to move the valve into the grenade launch position again, BUT I don't have any grenades and the prospect of getting any is pretty slim.

Again, all my humble opinion and I accept no responsibility for anything, anytime, anywhere!!! Take or leave my humble mumbleings at your risk. I'll post next week to let you know how it went. It'll be one of two things. 1) It holds up and my problem goes away, or 2) the epoxy breaks and I have to clean it up again and start from scratch. Hmmm, what's the third possibility??

Bigwheel

7. bigwheel

bigwheel G&G Newbie

sks

Now what was that third possibility? I made it halfway there. The sks cycled well until the foil blew out. Have heard of this with
    all non metallic seals. I'm getting there , though, the breech opens part way and acts like it wants to cycle. Tried a shim between gas rod housing and OP rod housing ( under front portion of rear sight) , that interfered with rod operation. Had to go home, getting dark, and chores to do... Glad I took other toys to shoot!
    Next in the bag of tricks is a weaker, shorter Op rod spring, and various shim methods. I'll try some thin stainless wire wrapped strategically around the valve port to try and take up some of the slack and form a more sturdy seal. This area really appears to be the necessary focus.
    I'm gonna keep at this until I solve the problem. It is such an accurate little toy and is easy on the shoulder. Anything this fun to shoot deserves to be fixed.
    Bigwheel

8. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

gas tube problem

Just got my yugo last week, took it to the range and just as I feared - won't eject shells correctly. I remembered reading something about 0 rings, but didn't have a ready supply - tired a cleaning patch with whole in it, put it up on the shut off valve end and first round it blew it apart. so tried some match stick covers and that seemed to help a little so tried it on the receiver end and had about the same results. Shot 10 in a row and all ejected thought I had a cure, after that it would mess up again. Have to try some of the ideas above as I like the rifle - has matching numbers and all. I did do a comparison with my Romanian and the gas chamber seems different - has kind of a step in the chamber a ways down so doesn't allow the push rod to go back as far as the romanian one - which works great. Could someone have reamed it part way? Anyone else look at their gas tube on thier Yugo and find similar step a ways down - didn't measure it. Keep experimenting and let us know what works.
    Hate to used match sticks, but it that's what works I'll use them.

9. bigwheel

bigwheel G&G Newbie

HEY! I found the FIX! Posted it on another part of this board, so I wont go into detail. I accept no responsibilities, but it entails wrapping thin (sewing thread thin) stainless wire around the gas valve nipple and tightly fitting the gas rod housing back in place. Make it nice and tight. I think the wire I used might have been thin fishing leader wire in another life.
    Shot up mucho boxo ammo! No problemo!! Every round would jam before..

10. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

gas tube fix

I didn't have any stainless steel wire, just some old cheap stuff, wrapped it around the nipple as you did on the gas valve and shot off 60 rounds with everyone ejecting like it should! Will try to get some of the stainless steel stuff, this was soft stuff and looking kind of beat up when I pulled it out - but it works - can make lots of them from a roll if need be.

11. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

Do you think the copper windings from an old transformer would be too soft? Or maybe just right as not to scratch the gas tube? -UR.

12. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

copper wire

I would think that would be a bit soft - you are putting it on the piece from the gas shut off -which just fits inside the tube - don't think you need to worry about scratching the tube as it isn't moving much - it isn't like if you had it on the gas piston.
    I just used some old cheap soft wire and it held up - want to try and get a metal snap ring from the hardware store or automotive if I can or just get some stainless steel wire of some kind - you can not get it very big or it won't go back into the tube even though it fits in the grove on the valve. Hope that helps.