close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slam Fire

Discussion in 'SKS' started by SwedeSteve, Jul 5, 2008.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Trying to figure out how he got his arm in FRONT of the barrel while the mag emptied. Can't picture it.

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Probably freaked out and lost control of it.

3. mike j

mike j G&G Newbie

on the note of SKS variants mine is a Soviet gun from Tula arsenal, all # match, $95 in 1993 packed in grease, have never had it miss behave, one pull of triger one shot still till this day.

4. DanS

DanS G&G Newbie

what are you reloading ? I loaded some of the surplus ammo for a while, till I had some primers work loose causing it to full auto fire. Now I only reload American brass.

5. DanS

DanS G&G Newbie

That's kind of nuts. Have a chinese & yugo SKS, never had a problem with either of them.

6. Dialed1n

Dialed1n G&G Newbie

I have a Tula 1954r, got it back in 94-95 or so..it would slam fire like the devil till i cleaned it extremely well, and its never done it since..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  7. sdrake8404

sdrake8404 G&G Newbie

Clean your bolt, especially around the firing pin. Most are caused by the firing pin not returning to the rear position. If need be a few places sell spring kits for the firing pin so it'll return automatically. You can also take the bolt apart and clean the pin entirely.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Gun and Game mobile app

8. I have a 1950 Russian Tula SKS...it has the spring loaded firing pin (or at least it does as far as I can tell)

Ive shot several hundred rounds thru it....and last time I shot it I got a double-tap once....I shot another 40-50 rounds thru it afterwards and it never did it again.

I took it apart and cleaned it....but I havent disassembled the bolt yet.

I thought the older Russian models with firing pin spring didnt suffer from slam-fires???

I will see if it happens again. I shoot mixed ammo....couple kinds of Wolf, Hot Shot, Tulammo, Golden Bear, and a few others I cant think of....so I have no idea which ammo double-tapped.

All my ammo is milsurp style, foreign made and steel cased...I dont know about their primers. I do have a few Winchester brass rounds but Ive never fired any of them.

9. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

A "double tap" does not necessarily mean it was caused by the firing pin. There can be many reasons for a 'doubling'.