close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slam Fire

Discussion in 'SKS' started by SwedeSteve, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I meant there is nothing better than owning a pot-bellied pig!
    No pork intended -I mean pun!

I have bought my Aunt over 150 pig items. Mostly ceramic and such. No real ones though although she has a few real parts!

2. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

+1 you are quit correct in that assumption ..
    The russians first produced them and the spring was deleted from production bye other countrys over the yrs

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Including Russia !!

4. tskunlimited

tskunlimited G&G Newbie

I installed theMurrays firing pin on my Yugo and it performs flawlessly. I highly recommend it and it eliminates any chance of a slamfire. My new Yugo will get the same upgrade..and the next.. and the next lol

5. Slam fires with French MAS 49/56 and 36/51 rifles?

Has anyone experienced slam fires with these MAS rifles? I have both and have not fired them since I heard that slam fires were common with the new production ammo. I cannot find surplus ammo. Thanks.

6. I have NEVER had a slamfire in all my shooting says.
    Then again, I've never shot an SKS!

:hitwithrock:

7. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I installed the Murray firing pin with the spring--looks like a good addition to the gun (and, yes, it is a pain to pound out the firing pin retainer). I'm guessing y'all had some pretty good success with it preventing slam fires ? There's no cosmo in the bolt anymore--does it still do its job when the gun gets pretty dirty ?

8. i have never taken the bolt apart in my sks and cleaned it i suppose i should, slamfires could be very dangerous.:09:

9. reaperof_evil

reaperof_evil G&G Newbie

1st day i shot my newly purchased norinco it slam fired a whole mag it is not in the shop getting fixed for free

10. MmMongol

MmMongol G&G Newbie

I had one slam fire on my Yugo the first time I had it out (after cleaning) using new production ammo. Luckily it was pointed at the ground and I was using a 30rd aftermarket mag which was misfeeding so I was loading singles at the time. Nobody at the range noticed but I was so embarassed that I packed it up for the day and went home to clean it out. This last weekend while cleaning it I noticed that the firing pin wasn't moving freely and attempted to knock the pin out but bent my brass punch in the process. I tried it again with a steel punch but it wouldn't budge. Is there some trick to this I can try? My dad used to heat engine cases with a torch to remove broken bolts but I imagine that might ruin the hardening.

Since then I've shot wolf gold and had absolutely no issues.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

My retaining pin came out pretty easily.

12. MilkMan

MilkMan G&G Addict

NY
    no slamfires

None yet 4 me, but I have only shoot about 100 rds so far through my SKS. Took me about 2 wks to read this thread. Poor David.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  13. Belt Fed

Belt Fed G&G Newbie

I had an unissued Russian that would do it once in about 15 times you closed the bolt. I never shot any live ammo in it. I sent it back to Century arms and they replaced it with another rifle.

14. shooter221

shooter221 G&G Newbie

Had it happen after a friend and I were emptying our 50 round clips and we both got a few slam fires. I have 4 SKS's and just love the weapon I own a tool and die manufacturing company and have decided to work on a better scope mount system also I own a new MINI 14 with the tactical stock I have read allot about accuracy issues and I'm going to solve the problem if it take me 10 years to do so. I will be re-bedding and making a custom damper system also a barrel cooling fins to help dissipate the heat. I may make several different barrels with different twist rates and change the bolt main spring to handle the faster twist rates. also some other tweaks that I have in mind and will share latter. I have owned a Colt H bar Match grade that would drive tacs I really want to know why the Mini 14 won't do the same.
    Kind regards
    All
    Mike aka shooter221

15. You have to tap out the retaining pin with the bolt on a very-hard and solid surface (with space for the pin to fall into ofcourse). Murray's has got a youtube video showing how he does it and he explains that doing it over wood or something "soft" will not work. I used a standard hammer and the pin that came in the SKS's cleaning kit and tapped out the retaining pin over some patio concrete slabs, worked for me.

Could anyone else verify this please? I installed Murray's spring loaded firing pin into my Tula SKS and acquired some Czech surplus corrosive ammo, but have not fired any of them yet. Anybody had any FTF issues described above?

Thanks guys for the excellent info, I love G&G for this. :veryhappy:

16. I shot 300 rounds of Czech surplus yesterday and had zero issues with the spring-loaded firing pin.

17. Martin Rage

Martin Rage G&G Enthusiast

Had a friend in high school shoot himself in the arm with his SKS when his started and emptied the whole magazine.

18. At we dont have glocks that just blow up for no reason just sitting in the safe unloaded!

19. brewxxx

brewxxx G&G Newbie

That is the army did it when I cleaned M1 garand.

20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hmmm, last two times I had my Yugo out, it slam fired two rounds once each time. When I got it home last time, totally disassembled the stinking bolt assembly. Even ran pipe cleaners through the firing pin channel. Probably should get the firing pin spring mod, but times are tough right now. I wouldn't even be shooting if I didn't have a ton of ammo I already reloaded.