Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Verdigris or patina, completely normal oxidation of metals containing copper. Take a look at the Statue of Liberty.

Use an old tooth brush (dry) and brush it off. The oils in the leather will help brass turn blue/green again...
I figured it for natural. Just wondered how to remove it and perhaps a preventative.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think it is the tannic acid. I have several western style gun belts with ammo loops that turn my 45 Colt, 45-70 and such green. The only solution I have found is to soak the leather in Ballistol. I polish the brass with a brass polish until it is shiny, then clean the brass with alcohol. Once dry I spray it with clear shellac. I have several of them and like to keep them loaded and ready to go. That is the only way I can keep the ammo from turning green. lOL

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,251 Posts
Flitz Polish in paste form or Mother's Wheel Polish on the brass. Clean them and then treat both the Brass and Leather with Ballistol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flitz Polish in paste form or Mother's Wheel Polish on the brass. Clean them and then treat both the Brass and Leather with Ballistol.
Thank, I have heard of Ballistol but have no experience with it. I'll check it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts