Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an older video by hickok45. As many of you probably know he's a very good offhand shooter with a number of different firearms. In this video he's peppering a table top that they have setup230 yards away with a short barrel, smooth bore, 12 gauge slug gun. So if a shotgun is all you have practice so that you can maximize its potential instead of feeling under gunned.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
A gun that I had to track down and buy back after my grandfather died, was his Browning A5. It has a 32" full choke vent rib barrel and an 18 or 20 inch smothbore rifle sighted barrel for slugs and buckshot. A 3" magnum 12 bore can do more than some think. The cool factor to me is it was made and he bought it the year I was born.

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
I hunted most of my life with a smoothbore. Used an old Montgomery Wards 12 Gauge SxS for over 30 years. Stopped using it because my sons bash me for using an old relic when I had so many others to use. I just was so used to it and how it shot. I took many deer with it and quite a few while running. People under estimate a smoothbore. As soon as the rifled barrels came out then everybody had to have one. I still choose to shoot smoothbore as it was all we had and used and it worked for years. I do also like my smoothbore 20 gauge. To each their own.

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some folks like to see what their shotguns will do with a slug.
Hey there @Rex in OTZ , when I click on the link you posted i get this warning:

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server."

·
Registered
374 Posts
Typical dispersion of Foster - type slugs fired from a smooth bore test barrel in return-to-battery rest is a radial standard deviation of about 1 mil. This being based upon ten-shot groups. An expert shot using selected lots of ammunition in which the slug is a close fit in the barrel can shoot 3-4 inch five shot groups from a 20-inch riot gun at 50 yards, 8-10 inches at 100 yards and 20-30 inches at 200 yards, as their dispersion is nonlinear.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Hey there @Rex in OTZ , when I click on the link you posted i get this warning:

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server."
That day I was on a different server that had restrictions.

Just look up American Slug Shooter Assn and you will find a cool sight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts