Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Savage 93r17 F
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to hunting as a whole and wanted to get the right advice before I go out on my own. I'm Parker Word, 21 years old from west Tennessee but live in east Tennessee for college. I've always been interested in hunting but never had a means of getting into the sport. Over the past few months, I decided that I'd like to get into hunting. I did a lot of research about firearms and what would be good and would work with my budget. I decided that small game was a great place to start since there isn't such a learning curve and it isn't as expensive or resource-dependent as waterfowl or big game. I got a Savage 93r17 F w/ Bushnell 3-9x40 scope chambered in .17 hmr. I still need to go to the range to sight in and get some practice but I have my licenses and hunter safety plus have shot a variety of guns so I'm not totally starting from square one. I am planning to go raccoon hunting sometime this winter and would love advice. I have watched a handful of videos on hunting and processing so I'm gaining as much necessary knowledge as I can before going out. My one specific question was, what to do with a [raccoon] caress after skinning if I was going to eat the meat and if I wasn't going to eat the meat? I understand it’s best to use all that we can from the animals but want to deal with the caress properly. Looking forward to the advice and responses! Thank you.

·
Wonderment :)
32,909 Posts
ParkerWord: Sir; Welcome from NC.

you are making a good start! Asking questions. License +++. Hunters safety course. +++
Your 17hmr is more than adequate for most small to medium game.
Shot placement some larger game will fall.
Small game =‘s head shots. Meat will not be destroyed.
Your firearm is chunking lead at extreme speed. Bullets disintegrate.

practice makes confidence in placement

·
Registered
594 Posts
Your 17 HMR Savage is a fine little gun. I have had one since they came out many years ago. Mine will shoot tiny, tiny groups at 100 yards. It is fine for small game and varmints. Most people suggest using the heavier bullets on animals the size of raccoons. I have not shot a raccoon with one so no personal experience there. They are pretty hard to hunt during daylight as they are nocturnal and just before dark they will come out, usually near water. I have never eaten them so no help there either. But your gun is a fine way to start

I suggest rabbits and squirrels as a start. Learn to dress them and cook them. Batter and cook them like fried chicken, works pretty well. I have used the 17 on prairie dogs out west and it is good out to about 200 yards if you can judge distance.

I know there is a safety issue shooting around water, but on our family farm we have a problem with snakes and turtles overwhelming out in our ponds. The 17 works very well for that.

Welcome to the great outdoors.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
I'm new to hunting as a whole and wanted to get the right advice before I go out on my own. I'm Parker Word, 21 years old from west Tennessee but live in east Tennessee for college. I've always been interested in hunting but never had a means of getting into the sport. Over the past few months, I decided that I'd like to get into hunting. I did a lot of research about firearms and what would be good and would work with my budget. I decided that small game was a great place to start since there isn't such a learning curve and it isn't as expensive or resource-dependent as waterfowl or big game. I got a Savage 93r17 F w/ Bushnell 3-9x40 scope chambered in .17 hmr. I still need to go to the range to sight in and get some practice but I have my licenses and hunter safety plus have shot a variety of guns so I'm not totally starting from square one. I am planning to go raccoon hunting sometime this winter and would love advice. I have watched a handful of videos on hunting and processing so I'm gaining as much necessary knowledge as I can before going out. My one specific question was, what to do with a [raccoon] caress after skinning if I was going to eat the meat and if I wasn't going to eat the meat? I understand it’s best to use all that we can from the animals but want to deal with the caress properly. Looking forward to the advice and responses! Thank you.
I think you are asking what to do with a raccoon carcass? If so, and the weather is warm and the ground is not frozen I plant them. If you plan on making meat out of the **** leave the bones and throw them out in your trash...kinda like chicken! We eat rabbit and we do the same.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've killed a pretty fair pile of beavers with my 17HMR as well. Head shots there are the rule as well. You can sell those whole if you don't want to skin them. Around here they will pay by the pound but holes any where but the head pretty much cut the price in half for every hole.

·
Premium Member
9,509 Posts
You should try and find a hunting partner to travel and learn with. Raccoon is usually hunted at night and using head lamps and sometimes dogs. I would stick to Coyote hunting if you want to go nigh time varmint hunting. Hides bring more money in that area. My son sells some **** skins but only bring like maybe $15 now. They are tough animals to skin. I would try squirrel and rabbit as noted by members above. My son lives in Eastern Tennessee and hunts there alot. So do a few other members on this site. There is plenty of public lands in the east side of the state. Many state game lands and forests and not many use them. Watch for bears as plenty are in the area.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Bury them. Or leave em where they lay if the area is good for that (low traffic, lots of scavengers).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts