Smith and Wesson 669

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by N2914J, Apr 15, 2006.

1. N2914J

N2914J G&G Newbie

I've got a Smith and Wesson 669, which is a semi-automatic 9mm in the medium size category. I don't know why I think this is relevent, but I'm just trying to increase traffic and promote posting and activity in a location other than the Powder Keg. I was thinking about using this gun for concealed carry when I am of age, despite that its only a 9mm, but I've already got it, so what the h.ell. Anyway, here is it,

[​IMG]

2. prochi2k

prochi2k G&G Regular

[​IMG]

Nice aquisition. I got this 5903 use for less than $300.

3. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

"Only a 9mm"? I don't know what you are comparing it to in order to refer to it as "only a 9mm", but a 9 is nothing to dismiss or sneeze at. I also like .45 ACP, though. I wouldn't hesitate to carry 9mm as a defense round.

Personally, I like S&W autos in stainless. Accurate, reliable, easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. Many police departments used that same piece as a primary weapon. I see police trade in units for sale regularly. The main reson I bought a Bersa was that the release, mag drop, hammer, and safety were all similar to my S&W, which I was very used to operating.

4. N2914J

N2914J G&G Newbie

You do have a point, Troy. Anything is better than nothing, even if it isn't a .45

Great buy, Prochi2k! They seem identical, but my safety is on the left side.

5. Agent006

Agent006 G&G Addict

Say N2914J, you said you would consider this pistol for conceal carry when you were "of age." I was just curious as to what age you have to be in your state to carry a pistol. Down here in S.C. we can apply for the permit at 21 just the same as buying the gun. Do they figure you need a few more years with your gun before carrying it!? Hm.

And $300 is a great deal a name brand pistol like Smith & Wesson! I must admit, I've never paid very much mind to the Smithy automatics, but mostly because I've been pretty picky about my handguns and I haven't bought any with conceal carry in mind. As a carry gun, they should be quite adequate. I like the slide-mounted safety. Not all people are agreeable to the "feel" of the Smith's but then again, nor are they to the Glock. The 669 is a solid steel gun, right? Ought to feel more reassuring than polymer.

I thought while I was at it, I too would add to this thing about 45. vs 9mm. It's a pretty old argument but a 9mm is certainly not JUST a 9mm. Most anyone can put down a smaller handgun's caliber until they get shot by one. That would shut the mouth's of most critics. But since shooting ourselves isn't very wise, just look at the ballistic data. 9mm is not all that far behind the .45 and for it's smaller diameter, the bullet tends to have actually more energy relative to it's mass than the slower .45. I agree that the .45 will tend to have the more "punch" with the larger round and it feels more substantial when you fire one off. But, the truth is that the 9mm with good hollow-point rounds is definately not something I would want aimed at me. Try shooting a water bottle. They nearly explode when hit by either round.

9mm, being a round that is smaller in diameter, can be more plentiful when packed into similar sized magazines. Many feel that having the extra rounds is a bigger advantage than the seemingly better knock-down power of the .45. But, I'll only defend the 9mm from being considered a "weak" round. I love the feel of a .45 and I can't wait to buy one. I feel that the .45 does indeed have an advantage in knock-down power to the 9mm. But, I feel that difference is not nearly as dramatic as what people make it out to be. Keep in mind also the greater variety of ammunition types available today. Sometimes it's not just the caliber but the type of ammunition you use. To be on the safe side with the 9mm, I'd shop around for the most ballistically effective hollow-point type round to use for my personal defense.

6. carolt1964

carolt1964 G&G Newbie

Worth

Hello,

I know nothing about guns, but I recently inherited one. I have a Smith & Wesson 669 that has never been fired. Approx. how much would this be worth and where would I sell it?

Thanks,

Carol

7. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

9mm with high performance ammo (i.e. a good JHP) is a decent self-defense round. Most of the arguments against were related to hardball ammo and the military's questionable decision to go to the 9mm from the .45 with non-expanding ammo. The 9mm vs. .45 is one of those unsolvable but fun arguments.......Although I personally like the .45, I also carry .38 and 9mm on occasion without any qualms. 9mm is higher velocity than the .38. The key is shooting well and having good shot placement with whatever firearm you're carrying (and, if a gun doesn't "fit" you i.e. you can't shoot it accurately for whatever reason, get a different gun).

Cor-bon makes some decent 9mm rounds, in my opinion (DPX and JHP). Whatever you decide, practice with your carry ammo and make sure it functions perfectly in your gun. Become proficient with your firearm--s/a demand more training than revolvers.

Best of luck !

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted