Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All ...

I'm really excited about this one. I've been watching these for some time now. This beauty was made in March 1943. My collection is leaning toward the non conventional arm manufacturers. I think it says a lot about a country and generation willing to put aside the manufacture of typewriters, adding machines and automobiles to pitch in and make arms for the war effort.

I've got a question. I always thought the safety was one the left side of the rifle. But there is also a safety catch on the striker. Is the button on the left strictly for releasing the bolt?

Ahhhhhhh... "Magazine Cut Off Switch" Very interesting. I learned something today!!!

"When the '03 rifle was designed, the U.S. Army still saw the magazine as a reserve for cartridges. The soldier or doughboy needed to load ammo one round at a time and only use the magazine when needed or ordered by an officer. The magazine cutoff switch located on the left of the receiver turns the magazine on or off. The magazine cutoff switch when place in the middle position allows for the bolt to be removed from the rifle."

Here's the whole story....

Collecting and Shooting the U.S. Model 03A3 Rifle - OPERATIONS

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Yeah, the magazine cut of switch is a neat little tool.

Beautiful wood! I wish mine still had iron sights, but for what I paid, I'm happy with the drilled receiver/scope.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Again ... 'Nother question. I can shoot the same surplus 30 ought 6 out of this 1903A3 as I use for my Garand, correct???

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Damm nice Rifle Joker. Dont you love the solid weighty feel of the US made 03A3. Seems like the US Rifles weigh more than the competition.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Nothing finer that the report of an 03A3 in the first morning light!:09:

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got to shoot this beauty over the weekend. It's a real tack driver! It feels really tight and solid. The bolt worked much smoother than I expected. Another great purchase, I'm really pleased!

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Way to go. Now you can hit those darned tax collectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts