Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have exprerience with the 1000S shotgun. I am having some problems with the gun not ejecting, thanx in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a model 1000 3" magnum 12 ga. It only ejects well with magnum shells. When I bought it 20 years ago I tried regular shells and when it would not eject properly I called S & W and they told me that was normal for the magnum model and that I should only use the magnum shells.

Hope this helps.
Gene

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi oned 2 one 2 3/4 12 gauge one 3" 12 gauge, it should handle evey thing

Hi I had a model 1000m, it handled every thing from light dove or target load to heavy 3" hand loads, check the rubber ring in the gas system Smith use to sell them, clean and lube it, the whole system, check it for burs something is keeping it from working right, now if this was one of there early ones they were noted for problems, Smith later fixed this, but the gun should eat any thing fed to it, I mixed 2 3/4 and 3" in the mag depending on how the pheasants were getting up, it always fed, I would look for friction problems in the bolt the arms and the gas cylinder and clean and lube it, dry lube is best several out their for fire arms, they don't attract dirt, hope it helps mine got stole sad loss of an old friend local sheriff is worthless on recovery as they auction them off so it is not worth trying to help the true owner, bad law enforcement in coos bay Oregon, any one know how to get serial # for a gun that the recite has been destroyed and the dealer went out of business??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smith & Wesson made the model 1000 shougun from 1982 through 1985 and then dropped all manufacture of their long arms.
They sold off the model 1000 spare parts and the tooling to a guy out in Comanche Texas. His name is Frank smith.
He still has some parts and is probably the only contactable expert on these firearms left.
Here is the link to his website.
Oh yeah, that rubber shock absorber will disappeaar and turn to gunk in the gas piston sleeve over a few years as they were not made to withstand the lubricatnt of the day.
DO NOT FIRE THIS GUN if that rubber (o'ring) shock absorber has failed. The firearm will be ruined and possibly your face.
LSG, Mfg.--Home Page
I have a Model 1000 12 gauge in Skeet Grade that I bought brand new in late 1982 and it still looks like brand new today.
Jim Lee
Savannah, Georgia

·
Registered
106 Posts
S/W 1000 auto shotgun buffer

The 1000 is a great shotgun, once the tube and piston operation is understood. During cleaning and dis-assembly, I did pull out the black goop. My tube was never damaged by the piston retaining pin slapping against the rear of the tube slots. So in order,I
1. Freed the frozen spring washer by turning it while pushing down with a large screwdriver,then aligning the slots for re-installation.
2.re-installed the flat washer, same as tube ID.
3. Replaced the goop with a garden washer that was thick enough to insure that it acted as a buffer preventing the piston pin from slamming against the rearward portion of the tube slot. Also the ring O.D. must be a tight fit.
4. Lubed and installed the piston(pin hole rearward,it's outer-ring and gas end cap.
5. Install barrel, forestock and endcap.
6. The only thing I haven't figured was how to remove the tube pin to change the capacity!:feedback:

:)

·
Registered
713 Posts
The 1000 is a great shotgun, once the tube and piston operation is understood. During cleaning and dis-assembly, I did pull out the black goop. My tube was never damaged by the piston retaining pin slapping against the rear of the tube slots. So in order,I
1. Freed the frozen spring washer by turning it while pushing down with a large screwdriver,then aligning the slots for re-installation.
2.re-installed the flat washer, same as tube ID.
3. Replaced the goop with a garden washer that was thick enough to insure that it acted as a buffer preventing the piston pin from slamming against the rearward portion of the tube slot. Also the ring O.D. must be a tight fit.
4. Lubed and installed the piston(pin hole rearward,it's outer-ring and gas end cap.
5. Install barrel, forestock and endcap.
6. The only thing I haven't figured was how to remove the tube pin to change the capacity!:feedback:
:)
Hello
I recently Picked up an Older S&W 1000 shotgun for what I thought was a good deal shipped for $270.00. It did not have this Goop you mention and my gunsmith checked it when it came in and told me it was in fine shape. Here are some Pictures of it and I Like it very much. It looks to me Like one would have to remove the magazine Pin in the side of the magazine tube to unscrew the Inner cap of the magazine to change the capacity of this gun. Mine is a Three shot and only used for Trap so I will leave it Alone. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
713 Posts
they look like an rem 1100.
nice looking gun
Hello Jerry
Somewhat. They have the magazine release through the receiver rather than on the bottom of the receiver on the feed Latch like an 1100. They are much Lighter with their Aluminum Receiver and have a Gas Piston set up Rather than the O-Ring style a Remington 1100 Has.. Hammerdown

·
Registered
1 Posts
S&W1000/Thanks/magazine question

I have a S&W1000 that I have owned since it was new. It looks exactly like the one pictured (in as good of condition as well). It is light and fast. I never had any problems with it, not one. I have both a modified and skeet barrels for it.
I have not fired it for 15 years but have a son in law who wants me to get into sporting clays so I appreciate drygulch's comment about the o ring,etc. Will take a look and or get a gunsmith to check it out before I proceed. One other comment in response. As far as I know all S&W1000's have a 3 shot mag so there is no changing to it. It was all I ever needed, even when I hunted quail and I assume it was incorporated to further reduce weight. Another note. I had friends that were critical of my purchase (traded in a rem 1100 for it). They said the take on it was not dependable, etc. Never had a problem and I shot it in freezing weather, rain, cold, etc. Enjoyed the comments folks. Will check back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
S/W 1000

Nice shotgun there Hammer-down! Better condition than mine. Bought mine in Oklahoma in 84 for 265 then. I.m using the old Winchester screw-in chokes that use the outside spanner wrench. Got the full,mod,and imp. Looking for the skeet when I come across one. Shotgun is doing great, no jams or mis-fires. My other is a Belgian :)Browning Sweet Sixteen. A great dove gun. Take care,
Rod

·
Registered
713 Posts
smith had a problem with them rubber seals getting gooey and gummy, might need to be replaced
Hello
I heard that, but mine seem to be fine. I had a buddy that shot Trap with his and went Three years without the Rubber O-Rings in his once they got all Gummy. he did not bother to replace them, and had no problems with it cycling or feeding ammo either..I don't know if they are that Important according to him ? Hammerdown

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Evening everyone,

I am new to this post but I have a Smith & Wesson 1000 that looks identical to the one pictured by Hammer Down. The gun is in great condition. There have been no problems with the gun until recently. I took the gun out the other day to shoot with my brother in law. I was unable to load any bullets into the magazine. I decided to shoot a Belgium Browning instead.

What do I need to do in order to fix this problem?

I look forward to hearing any advise that can be given.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Good Evening everyone,
I am new to this post but I have a Smith & Wesson 1000 that looks identical to the one pictured by Hammer Down. The gun is in great condition. There have been no problems with the gun until recently. I took the gun out the other day to shoot with my brother in law. I was unable to load any bullets into the magazine. I decided to shoot a Belgium Browning instead.
What do I need to do in order to fix this problem?
I look forward to hearing any advise that can be given.

Hello
I am willing to help here, But I need a Little More information on what it is doing ? Do you mean the action would Not Open ? Or do you mean you were unable to Load the magazine underneath in the magazine Tube ? If the action would not Open, it is no Big deal, You have a common Froze up O-Ring Problem. Inside the Gas Piston they have an O-Ring that is supposed to be an action cycling shock absorber. When these get some age on them they deteriorate and get sticky often freezing up the action so it will not open. If this is the case, Simply place the butt of the gun on a soft rug and hold your hand around the barrel to support the shotgun while slamming down hard with your other hand to force the action open. It may take a couple of tries to unfreeze it, But it will eventually open. Once it is open, Take off the forend and you wills See some Back Goo on the magazine slide. Use a rag soaked with Hoppes or I have used a spray Carb. Cleaner to remove the gooey mess that was left behind from the O-Ring seal. I cleaned mine up and never replaced the O-Ring as it does not have to have it to function and it will cycle fine without it. Here is a Link to a Guy that has Parts for your S&W Model 1000 shotgun. The part that you will find defective is Number 37 on his parts list should you want to order one. I did not replace mine because a friend of mine took his out ans shot well over 10,000 Rounds afterwards at Trap shoot's with no Ill effects from this Missing Part. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

LSG, Mfg.--Home Page

Here is a Link to a Guy that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Hammer,

I have the same shot gun S&W 1000 purchased in 1985-86 for $150.00 and have loved it the first time I ever shot it. Smooth, light weight action is wonderful. I do at times have problems with the ejection when shooting trap. When I use federal loads about after six shots fired it won't push out spent cartridge. I will clear the chamber and no other problems for about six or seven more rounds fired... I clean the gun after each use. I have taken it to my gun smith and he finds the gun to be in great working order. Just keep it cleaned after each use and it will give you years of great fun...My gun smith has offer me $900.00 for my gun, I still have it and a S&W 916-A 12 Gauge short barrel, AWLSOME GUNS!!! S&W done a superb job when they manufactor these two fire arms...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Docmoss here. Im new to the forum but have a few question about a S&W 1000S shotgun that I just bought. I didnt receive a manual with the gun so dont know alot about it yet. The gun is in A1 condition with not a scratch. Looks new. Action works perfectly and its beautiful. I would like to ask anyone with experience or a manual about the barrel. It is billed as a skeet gun, which is what I intend for it. My question is about the barrel. The business end of the barrel is slightly enlarged bigger than the main cylinder of the barrel. It also has louvers on either side of the end, I suppose for gas venting and the inside of the "swelled part" has a very rought finish. Can anyone tell me about this barrel. The last owner, who was a dealer, had a name for the barrel but it has escaped my noodle. Also, can anyone give me a lead where I can find a manual for this gun? Thanks in advance.
docmoss

1 - 20 of 26 Posts