close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SMLE's in 223, 7.63X39!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Wiley455, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

Saw an interesting bit of info that a company in Australia is building NEW (not butchered surplus rifles) SMLE carbines in 223 and 7.62X39 cal. They look similar to jungle carbines, and have appropriate magazines which look to be detachable. Has anyone seen these? I have a copy of advertising pics but no way to post here.

2. Tony @ WCG

Tony @ WCG G&G Newbie

Ohio
    I have read about these. It appears that Lithgow is not making the receivers and other parts (off shore sourcing :eek: ) but the quality is suppose to be real decent. Suppose to be based on the No.4 with some parts interchanging. Also available in kits with several calibers, each extra barrel also comes with proper bolt head and magazine.

3. No flame intended , but what is the advantage of a jungle carbine in a lesser caliber than the original? The 303, and even the Indian 308's , seem to do all that needs doing.:confused:

4. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

I suppose they will be more of a novelty than anything else. Doubtful unless production is extremely low that they will ever be in the collector realm. But if the quality is high they should be interesting and fun items. Plus a good backup to an AR15 or AK47 type semi auto. The pics do look neat. One has a long FAL type flash hider, I think it's the one in 76239. Looks like the sights leave a bit to be desired. Simple flip type, nothing fancy.

5. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

When one can get a decent SKS for a mere pittance these days, as pk pointed out, what's the advantage? An SKS will make a great BU to an AK, and the parts can be gotten anywhere.

6. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

You're right Mico. Those LE's will just be a novelty is all, something different. Rumor is they will be kinda expensive also. I personally wouldn't be interested in one. I pretty much stick to collecting No1 SMLE's in their original state anywho. But they are kinda neat.

7. Wally

Wally G&G Newbie

Come on, you can have more then one toy! There is always room for a different SMLE. And these would provide a favorite rifle to shoot some of that cheap surplus ammo. I can see I need one in 7.62x39. If anyone comes up with a source, please post.

Wally

8. Can you please post any info. ,such as Company name ,web site phone #,etc. .
    It would be nice to be able to finally use all that 7.62x39 ammo that I have. What with having "LOST" my AK during a boating outing, it would be nice to have a "replacement" to show the GESTOPO ,a nice ol' PC rifle that just so happens to fire that particular type of ammo.

9. RST

RST G&G Newbie

Texas
    I too would be interested... Love my 2A1, and would be able to round out a collection of non-traditional bolt guns. Not to mention that ammo is cheap for 308, 223 and 7.62x39...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  10. LOBO

LOBO G&G Newbie

Cheap fun ammo thats why.
    For example I have a LE No4 Mk2 that I got from a guy with a bulged barrel and no wood. I wanted just for spare parts for my other LE. Anyway I found a shop that converts your LE to 7.62x39 for a few hundred bucks. I may do this and only a .22 rim fire is cheaper to shoot that the 7.62 x 39. And to that I have shot CZ 527 carbines in both calibers and they are great. So dont knock it till you tried it and those Czs are about 450. to 500. bucks. If I can get a my favorite bolt rifle (the SMLE) in those calibers for under $200.00 then yea cuz you can never have too many rifles in those calibers.

11. odd cal LE's

Yes, please post the info, this may be a good gun for the young'uns to get started on, cheap/easy to run.

12. Ya'll have it all wrong.I could care less about an Enfield in .223 or 7.62x39, but what I would REALLY love to see is a no4mk1 in 7.62 nato.With the no4's aperture sights and the nato rounds power,I would be on cloud nine at least!!!!!!

13. RST

RST G&G Newbie

Texas
    If there were such an animal, I would line up for one of those too! My eyes are getting a little old for open sights, and I've always shot well using peeps.

14. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

Go to bdlltd.com. Owners name is Brian. He has No4's in 762 NATO, They are of Canadian mfr. I believe. I drove down to his place once and took a look at them, very very nice!

15. Wiley, The big question is how much are these?

16. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Smelly 762 x 39 ?

I feel that this type of rifle has a lot of merit...cheap ammo, makes a nice starter rifle, decent ballistics for urban counter-sniping(heh, heh!), and the Enfield has more consistent lock-up than an sks or ak, wringing out the most accuracy from this caliber...

I'd like to see one made up for the soviet 545 x 39...that tumbling bullet should be good for boar or coyotee...heck, I'd like to see that caliber for the M1 Carbine, too!